Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Ariens gear tractor, have to FORCE it into gear to move but…

Customer Question
Ariens gear tractor, have to...
Ariens gear tractor, have to FORCE it into gear to move but still no reverse When parked 3 months ago it was fine. Model936060 42" Seems like clutch or linkage problem?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Small Engine
3/7/2018
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 month ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

This is the standad gear transmission, the gear shift lever needs to be checked at the transmission, by removing the linkage and working the lever by hand. If it shifts forward and goes into reverse, the linkage has moved, and needs to be adjusted. The clutch is the drive belt, so when you press on the clutch, the belt should stop the pulley on top of the transmission, does it stop?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will have to check this out later, but the linkage does seem to be wrong . Thelinkage from the pedal goes to the trany and then on the trany the linkage doesnt make sense. The shaft from the pedal linkage has a washer then a spring then it goes thru the linkage on the tranny and goes for another 3 in. just out there with a cotter pin at the end this doesnt make sense the extra 3 in. is non functional , that must be the problem.

OK> Let me know.

I see you requested a phone call? I was out working on one of my problems! I am available now. Did you remove the linkage and work lever by hand?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no new messages, ive been out trying to fix the problem When you say to remove the linkage & move it by hand ...... how can i move it now that i have removed the linkage???? It can move by hand with the aid of the shift lever but i am forcing it.it use to go into gear easily.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no phone call needed

You want to leave the lever # 80 on the transmission, all you want to remove is the #84 link!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how can i get to #84 ? in my messages i am refering to #22.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I thought the linkage was items #22,24,19 ,26, on the side of the tranny?

That would be the parking brake!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you for the info "its the parking brake" How can I get to item 84 , I do have the schematic that came with the mower.I have to leave shortly & will be gone until Sun , hope we can pick this back up then.

OK> I'm retired and just use the link in your email to get back here. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Curtis B. The 1/4 20 nuts just turn with the ratchet. No progress being made getting the link. off. if the shifter moves the gearbox does that answer your question if the shifter can move by hand , because these nuts just spin.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the nut spins in unison with the threads, removed the small rubber boot to expose the back side of #84 but found nothing .but the shifter does change the gears, that is #87 changes positions.

If the shifter is moving at the transmission, it should be shifting, that means the problem is internal to the transmission.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Curtis. With the problem being internal that puts it beyond my expertise. I will just use the mower in all gears except reverse.side note any clarification on how or why those 1/4-28 screws & nuts spin , dont know how it could be assembled, short of being a press fit? thanks again Ron B.

You have to hold one while turning the other. If it is on a rod, a pair of locking plier on the shaft would hold it while nuts are loosened.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Curtis B. Going back over your notes I want to make sure you understand that I can get into all forward gears, just not easily. I still can't get into reverse. Could this mean that the problem might not be internal & just a linkage adjustment

That was why the linkage needed to be removed, so you could work the linkage on the transmission manually, to see if it is linkage or transmission.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The space between the nut & #84 does not allow even the ends of needle nose pliers to grab the threads of the shaft to keep it from turning & there is not enough thread coming out of the nut to grab it there.

The links with the ball joints have hex part below the ball. This has to be held with a thin wrench while the nut is loosened on the bottom, It does not matter which one you remove.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK! success, the forward nut is off & I can't move the #80 lever . Putting the nut back on,[ partially] I am again able to shift into gears with the leverage of the shifter, could be lack of strength I don't know how easy it is to move with no linkage attached.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
still no reverse

It should not be too hard to move, could be caused by lack of grease in the transmission, but there is no way to add grease. The grease is put in before the two halves are put together.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I be able to put it in all gears, without the mtr. running, because I can ,all except reverse.

Yes, you should be able to shift it into all the gears, you may have to roll it a few inches, to get gears to mesh. The reverse would be in the opposite direction.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sooooo the problem could just be old hard grease that sat all winter , in central TX?

Yes, not just this winter but over time.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician