Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a onan 5500 I tuned it up replaced fuel pump and

Customer Question
I have a onan...

I have a onan 5500 I tuned it up replaced fuel pump and relay switch`I tried to start it and there's no fuel coming out of pump. I disconnected wires on pump and checked pump with jumper and pump worked. Generator is out of RV on my workbench.I even changed coil. what could be

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

I have a hose going to gas can

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes I am

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Small Engine
3/6/2018
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 4 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

1. What is the full model number of the genset?

2. What relay switch are you talking about/

It's a BGM model The relay switch under air cleaner A BOSCH 4 terminals
do you have any soulations

There are 8 differ3ent variations of the BGM series. I need to know the full model number, exactly as it is written on the data plate.

no i would just like to know what it could be

It is hard to say without knowing which variation you have. Different variations have different parts, and different control systems.

But it could be a bad board, broken wire, blown fuse on the models that have a fuel pump fuse.

I have 4 of these generators I switched out board that is good still nothing ,I checked fuses OK checked wires seam OK

The boards are not interchangeable between all specs of this unit.

It is impossible for me to help if I don't know exactly which unit you have.

NO THANKS PHONE CALL WON'T MATTER

I did not send a phone call request. That was done automatically by the system.

He told me nothing that I didn’t know already

Since you don't want to get the model number so I can help, I will opt out.

Good luck with it.