Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Generac generator 0062400.....disconnected control panel…

Generac generator(###) ###-####....disconnected control...

Generac generator(###) ###-####....disconnected control panel assembly. Now re plugged in and error message is "model Ident problem. fix resistor in harness.....

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Customer:(###) ###-####Model, Serial Number(###) ###-#### Controller Assembly is 0J8371A

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Purchased in November 2013, Installed early Jan 2014. I did the work myself.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

V FYI - the control assembly never worked properly. I hired the service tech from local gen dealer and he said the controller was shot. I have been able to start it manually but it doesn't come on automatically. Thankfully, I

I only needed once since its been installed, last week. I started it manually and threw the auto transfer switch manually and the generator worked fine. I disconnected the control panel after we got power back on to get info on it, see about replacing it. Put in back in the generator and now I get that error message.
3/6/2018
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

There is a resistor installed in the harness to help the controller identify the size of the genset.

If you are getting that error, either the controller is bad, or the resistor, or both - or there may just be a loose connection at the resistor, which is entirely possible, since you pulled the controller.

You need to pull the controller again, and check the connections carefully. The resistor has 3 wires going to it, and the wires are marked R1, R2 and R3. Make sure you didn't accidentally unplug it.

Was this what you wanted to know?

OK.

Thank you for using Just Answer, and please take a moment to rate my assistance, so I get credit for my time and expertise.

Hank F.
Hank F., Technician