Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Code 57 is coming up, the unit will sometimes run the fuel…

Code 57 is coming...

Code 57 is coming up, the unit will sometimes run the fuel pump but not start the engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Fuel is clean but the starter doesn`t get a signal. when the starter is energized it runs

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

With some guidance yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don`t have access to the codes to trouble shoot, there was a power issue before. Now just the start signal is intermittent. wondering if I have a module issue

3/5/2018
Wayne, Engine Rebuilder

Hi, I’m Wayne.

I will be assisting you with this issue today.

what is the make and model, I will pull up the codes

5.5HGJAE-2555K
C140650259

Hi

Thank you for the response

Give me a bit to pull this file up

don't have my cell rite now

HI

Are you sure about code 57 ??

that code is not showing up

5 flashes then 7

Hi

No, I do not find that code, I will opt-out

and post back to the board for another expert

Sorry I could not help

at first it was only a steady 3 flashes
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

Code 57 is Overprime Fault. It means that the unit was primed for over 3 minutes.

You really shouldn't prime the unit for over a minute.

Codes can not be cleared. Once a code has been set, it will always be there. A code may be overwritten by a new code, but it can not be erased.

You may just be seeing an old code.

If you are having intermittent stat issues, the most likely cause is a bad/dirty electric connection somewhere.

There are 2 places that a bad connection are possible. The first one is at the connector that plugs in to the controller. The second is the connection at the starter solenoid itself. To access the solenoid, you must be able to remove the top cover of the genset - and that most likely means having to remove it from the coach. The starter is behind the engine.

I'll have a look later today, thanx

Ok.

Thank you for using Just Answer, and please take a moment to rate my assistance.

would appear that this system has a safety relay that only allows 1 start per cycle of the main relay. No codes to help a guy to figure things out though
Thanx for your thoughts

I have been an Onan technician for 17 years. There is no such "safety" in the genset. Someone is feeding you a line.

Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
actually there are two relays that run the start system on this unit, hooked to the e-brake and 2 separate shut off places on the boom. The relays run in series. once i figured that out it made sense