Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Problems on Rigid Generator with Yamaha MZ360 Engine. I have…

Carburetor Problems on Rigid Generator...
Carburetor Problems on Rigid Generator with Yamaha MZ360 Engine.
I have seen this question asked many times on your site.
Hank has some very good photos submitted by another justanswer customer that would help here.
I have a few questions but all related to erratic operation.
The generator runs fine some days and won't stay running other days.
I replaced the original carburetor with an aftermarket unit and that resolved the problem for a few months, but then the problem re-occurred. I dipped (in parts cleaner overnight) and thoroughly original carburetor and put it back on, and the generator ran fine (for the most part0 for a few weeks. Now it is doing the same thin. Starts, runs for 5-10 minutes then dies out like it's starving for fuel. Flushed Tank, replaced hoses, fuel valves, and filter (multiple times). Still does the same thing. Spark is good and does not "seem" to be a condenser problem. (ie: starts right back up after it stalls. No cooldown needed).
My question is... There are 3 adjustment screws on the carburetor (and one inside that I have no idea how to adjust).
There is the one that pushes against the throttle arm tab so the motor won't run to slow. Then there is the one that only turns 1/4 turn at the discharge side of the carburetor that I assume is an air/fuel mixture. Turning this seems to have no effect, but I did not putz with it long. Then there is another screw that presses down on a tab that I think pushes on a spring/ball assy.
My questions are what to adjust in what order and by how much to maybe get this thing to run reliably.
Right now it is running ruff most likely because I tweaked these.
Help
Answered in 1 day by:
3/7/2018
Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. When you cleaned the tank etc at any time did you run any water remover in it ? The reason I am asking is it ran good after switching carburetors, most likely some gas was lost during that as well as when you removed the carburetor to clean it.

I did not run water through the gas tank. I flushed/rinsed the tank by dumping a pint or so of clean gas into the tank, sloshed it around a bit while letting it drain out the fuel line. I disposed of that gas and repeated the process. Note, might be coincidence, but many times (not always) if I drain the bowl after the generator stalls the first or second time, it seems to run ok. But I get the gas at several different stations across 2 states. They can't all have water in the gas. I also do not have a lot of humidity and I add "dry gas" additive. The fuel I drain from the bowl does not seem to be water, but I did not test it.
Water is heavier than gas so it sits in the tank eventually getting into the carburetor , then sits in the carburetor bowl , that would be why it runs good for a bit after being drained , sheet is a great water remover , I would add a decent amount and drain the carb after adding it
Ok. But I still need some advice on the 4 adjustment screws on this carburetor since I did mess with them and what to put them back to their original settings. Like I said before, Hank had pictures of a similar carb on the same motor/generator from a question some one else posted. If you look that up perhaps you can tell me / and show me in a picture or diagram, which screws to turn and by how much. Note, this carb is slightly different than most I have seen, so you should check b this particular o n e out first before getting back to me.
Here is the service manual on the engine , I'm going to go through it on carburetor adjustmentshttps://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.enginesolutions.com/media/images/MZ_MG%2528E%25292005_Engine_Specs_%25281%2529.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiQoJyup9vZAhUhU98KHZKbB6kQFjAMegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw0IV4eze5snNF6eZKdKe7SQ
That link will download the pdf, it's to large to attach
Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician