Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Generator started and ran for four hours. Shut down and now…

Generator started and ran...

Generator started and ran for four hours. Shut down and now refuses to start. Oil is where it should be so that eliminates low oil shutdown. Fuel to the ca. Removed plug side of carb have sufficient flow. Plenty of spark??????Will not start and run.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Affirmative. Am very good with small engines. Mucho years experience. this has got me stumped.....

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Of course.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

What are the two leads coming from the bottom of carb. they are not hooked up to anything.

3/5/2018
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

the leads to bottom of carb need to be connected as they operate the solenoid and allow fuel to flow into the carb jets

Connected to what? They were never connected???????????????????????????????
This generator ran for four hours without those leads being connected to anything but themselves. This ain't my first trip to town.........
What do you suggest I connect them to????????????????????????????????????????

did you buy this new or used? reason for asking is, if there are wires to carb, they would connect to the anti backfire solenoid on the bottom of the carb. if you purchased used, the original owner may have disabled this feature and they will no longer be needed.

can you manually put fuel into the carb/intake and it run briefly?

brand new out of the box.....

the solenoid on the bottom of the carb holds the bowl on and also when power is applied to this, drops a needle down and allows the fuel to flow into the carb jets to run.

can you upload a picture of the carb, and I will edit it to show you where the wires will need to attach. I am unsure how it ran without them previously as it must have this connected to drop the needle down

The leads are connected to the bottom of the carb.... They do not go anywhere accept to themselves. They were plugged into themselves..out of the box
My computer skills are not that proficient. If this is an anti backfire system. explain to me where you thinkthey should attach. This unit ran without..

they connect to the wire harness so power can be applied when turned ON. one end connects to carb, the other to plugs in the harness.

I am unsure how it ran before as I have never in my 22 years seen one run without them connected unless the system was disabled.

I will OPT OUT and see if someone else may have an answer for you. Please do not respond as it will lock me back to the question and no one else will be able to assists you

these carbs not been around for twenty two years
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What are the brand, model and serial number of the genset?

Generac 6500

That is not a model number, nor a serial number. That is a family class.

Don' t bother.

Sorry, but I can't help you troubleshoot it if I don't even know what it is. Not all generators are the same.

Sn(###) ###-#### mdl0059411 this unit has no provision to hook up this solenoid on the carb. It ran before without it. What elsr would you like?

A lot of the smaller units have a dummy solenoid in them. The solenoid has no closing pin, and is completely inert. It is only the housing that is there, and is only used as a bowl hold on bolt. That is why it is not hooked up - it doesn't actually operate, it just holds the bowl on.

If you have good spark, and good fuel, you likely have lost compression.

Remove the valve cover, and check the valves to make sure they are operating. Check/adjust valve lash. Lash on both valves of this engine is .006".

I will check that out.

Ok.

Valves are good.
When this solenoid is energized does it restrict flow or allow flow

The solenoid on this unit isn't operable. All it does is hold the bowl on to the carb. There are no internals in that solenoid.

If your valves are good, remove the air filter.

While cranking the engine, spray in some carb cleaner.

Will it fire and/or run on carb cleaner?

Stripped carb cleaned jets engine running. Solenoid has no effect. Tell jon he is full of shit. Thanks

Ok.

Thank you for using Just Answer, and please take a moment to rate my assistance.

Hank F.
Hank F., Technician