Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Electric fan motor stopped working and the engine

Electric fan motor stopped...

Electric fan motor stopped working and the engine overheated. Fan motor works when I jumped it directly with power. All fuses appear to be fine. Short of throwing money to problems, do you have any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?

I don't know how old it is. The vehicle belongs to a customer I work for. It is in constant use year round, so my guess is the issue hasn't occured in the past.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. I live on a non-ferry served island in the San Juan Islands. Barging the vehicle off for repairs will be very expensive.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Where is the "antifreeze sensor" located? Perhaps I shoud start there. Unfortunatly, I just learned that the dump bed stopped working at the same time. Could this be a control module issue?

Answered in 1 day by:
3/6/2018
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Michelle, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you!
Michelle~Moderator
if you can get back to me by 3/9/18. If not I will search for answers someplace else.
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

I believe that the two issues that you are having are completely unrelated.

The fan sensor is normally mounted in the head of the engine, however sometimes they can be in the block. I would suspect the sensor to be the issue since you can power the fan directly and it works and you have checked the fuses and relays and believe that they are all good.

The bed issue however I would believe to be completely unrelated to the fan due to the separate circuits that they would be on. I would be looking for a power or voltage issue coming to the bed lift(possibly a fuse or relay, maybe the switch, a broken or loose wire).

Thanks for choosing to use our services. If you need additional information let me know.

Please take a moment to rate your experience using the star rating system that is provided for you.

JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician