Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Have a yard machine tiller with 6hp engine would not start…

Have a yard machine...

Have a yard machine tiller with 6hp engine would not start bought a new carb now it starts but only runs about 30 seconds then blows white smoke then dies what would be the problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes on both

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No that's all

3/3/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Did you replace the fuel filter between tank and carburetor, or does it have one? If it does NOT have a filter, the new carburetor may have water in it from the fuel tank. Need to drain the carburetor!

do i need to take the float bowl off to do this

Just loosen the bolt and see if water comes out. the water will come out first if there is any.

ok i will try that will be a few minutes until i get back with you

OK>

ok when i check for water fuel came out i pulled the vent pipe from the valve cover it would run but it was blow feul and oil mixture out to hole when it plugged it back in it quit running

Your crankcase is filled with gas and oil! You need to change the oil, the old carburetor has let gas enter the crankcase through the vent hose.

ok i"ll try that thanks

OK> Thanks.

what is the best oil for it

I still use a straight 30wt. , the brand really does not matter. Needs to be a detergent oil, do not use Non-detergent

ok thanks

That is why you get the white smoke, and is fouling out he spark plug, you may also want to clean/replace the spark plug.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician