Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

During the exercise cycle, my generator will not shut off.

During the exercise cycle...

During the exercise cycle, my generator will not shut off. It’s been running for a couple of days. What do I do?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It’s a 16 KW standby generator, properly installed, and it’s not quite a year old

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It’s a 16 KW standby generator, properly installed, and it’s not quite a year oldI just wanted to stop. I’ll have one of your text look at it later.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No, I’ve got the instruction manual but it does not tell me what to do in the situation except contact an independent authorized dealer

3/3/2018
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
If the unit is not shutting off on its own, simply raise the top lid and set the rocker switch to the OFF position to shut it off.

Was this what you wanted to know?

that is exactly what I wanted to know; it worked fine. Apparently the main breaker for the sub panel was thrown, causing the generator to sense the same and turn on. After I reset the subpanel breaker, the generator shut off. I don't think it was a issue with the circuit board on the generator. However, I will check the oil level to make sure that is still adequate. Thanks.Al Arendt

No problem.

Thank you for using Just Answer, and please take a moment to rate my assistance.

Hank F.
Hank F., Technician