Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Deere L111 riding mower that will not move. I see…

I have a John...

I have a John Deere L111 riding mower that will not move. I see the belt on the trans axle does not move with the engine running and the right peddle engaged forward. The disenage rod in the rear is pushed in. The brake is not engaged on the left nor the parking lock pulled up.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It's about 17 year old John Deere model L111

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I'm just wondering if the engine pulley attaching the belt to the rear trans axle should be moving the belt. I am a fair mechanic.

2/21/2018
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
When pedal is pressed, the idler pulley should rotate and tighten the belt against the engine pulley and the transmission pulley. You most likely have a stretched-out belt that needs replaced if the belt is on all pulleys as it should be.
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Thanks I'll change the belt.