Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I Have a Deere 2006 Turf Gator woturfdoo2982 with a Kawasaki…

I Have a John Deere...
I Have a John Deere 2006 Turf Gator woturfdoo2982 with a Kawasaki motor fj400d-bso5-r. It will turn over but not start. Power to spark plug seems good. Was told it needed a iginitor module. Where is that located and is this possibly my problem?
I have installed a new battery, cleaned carb and new gas line. Fuel is getting to carb and spark plug is firing off ignitor when touched to block.
2/12/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

If you have spark at the plug , the igniter is good! If you put fuel directly into the spark plug hole.will engine fire for a few seconds?

No I have used starter fluid in plug hole as well as in carb and no firing.

Any history? If it has spark and fuel, timing may be off. The timing key between flywheel and crankshaft could be sheared.??

I just bought this and it was used on golf course. They said it needed a new ignitor?

Does it have compression?

I'm getting pressure out of tail pipe when I try to start it. Have not tried in spark plug hole. Does this model gator have a ignitor module

No, just the ignition coil at the side of the flywheel. You have spark, not bad! Either low compression or timing. Use finger over spark plug hole to see if you have any compression.

I have compression from spark plug hole and plenty of it.
Just tried with finger over hole.
Maybe weak spark?

More likely timing or valves may not be working, have you had rocker cover off?

but not while trying to start. Sugestions if they are not moving when I try?
Gator had been sitting idle for a long time before I got it

Yes, you can have compression, but valve not moving, from broken rocker or pushrod. And compression needs to be around 140 psi on Kawasaki.

If rods are stuck any way to free them without tearing in engine? If they are not stuck when I check what next?
Still there
Hello?

I'm back! Have you checked for valve movement? If valves are ok, I would remove the flywheel and check timing key.

Ok. I will check tomorrow on the vavles and let you know. Can I spray anything on them to freee up or remove buildup?

If they are stuck, you can oil them up and tap them with a soft hammer, just be sure the piston is not at the top, so the valves don't hit piston when tapping. If they are too tight, the head will have to be removed.

Ok I will check it tomorrow and let you know. Will you be able to get my email if I contact you tomorrow?

Yes, just use the link in your email to get back here.

Ok, thanks

Thank you.

Ok Curtis, I just put a new coil on it, have fire to it but none from spark plug and will not act like it wants to start.
The valves were not stuck and rocker arms are moving as the should.

Have you removed the flywheel and checked for sheared flywheel key?

No not yet. Will it be the wheel thst the coil uses for spark or on the other side with pully? What exactly will I bw looking for?

Side that the coils mount next to. flywheel with the starter ring gear on it.

If I take off will it have to re-timed or can I replace flywheel key and put back on?

The key is the timing, just place it back in place, and torque the flywheel nut.

If key is sheered will the piston still move?
Piston does move up and down as well.

Yes, piston will still move, a sheared key affects the spark timing, to the cylinder, spark will occur at wrong time to piston coming to TDC.

Ok Curtis I will try it and see. Will get back to you later. May have to order part for it.

You can pickup a key for it at any good auto supply store.

Ok thanks

Thanks!

Pulled fly wheel and key looks good. But will replace. Looks like a half mood steel key.
Moon

Yes, that is all it is. So timing is ok, valves have clearance, we have spark and fuel, did you check the compression?

Just put thumb over spark plug hole while cranking it and had a lot of pressure when I did it.

Not a good test, Need 140 psi and thumb won;t do that!

Well if its the rings might as well get a new engine. Where can you get a tester for that?
I'm not even getting a little bit of trying to start. Figured if rings were bad it would still try and start.

Not if compression is too low!

Ill see if I can get a reading on it

OK>

Ok did compression test and over 150 psi. Am going to get another battery as this one as gave out from all the cranking.

OK, with spark, fuel ,timing, and compression,it should run!

Ok I know have fire to plug even when I unplug the ground wire to coil. I took off the fuel line and sprayed starter fluid in plug chamber and it tried to start. Did this several times even with fuel line connected. Still will not start. What next?

No fuel to the cylinder. I don;t see a solenoid in the carburetor? So is there fuel to the carburetor from the fuel pump? Is the float and needle valve letting the fuel enter the bowl?

Fuel to bowl. Float seems to work as it fills bowl up.

If you hold hand over the carburetor throat, does it suck in ?

Will check when I get back and let you know.

OK, thinking intake gasket leak.??

Where is that located?

Carburetor mounting and where the manifold bolts to each head.

Gasket between carb and block was a little torn.

If the intake is ok, then it comes back to the carburetor gave you had it off and did a through cleaning of all the internal passages?

took carb off checked float and needle. Cleaned everything good anf put back on.

OK good suction at the carb throat> do yo get gas coming out when you do it?

Will check
More outward pressure than sucking. Do have a hise that connects throat to valve cover.
Hose

Could exhaust be plugged?

I have a blowing out from exhaust when I turn the motor over.

If there is air blowing out from the carburetor, the valves may be leaking, or not set right. The piston on the intake stroke has to suck the fuel mix into the cylinder then it is compressed on the compression stroke and then the spark occurs . Something not quite right!

How do I need to check and fix that?

Did you set the valve lash?

How do I do that?
Will do. Will get back with you tomorrow when I'm done.

OK>

Ok set the gap on valves to .005 which kawasaki had for spec. Did on valve when open then rotated engine until other valve was open and did that. Book said to move cylinder to TDC and do both I believe but I did as above. Sprayed carb spray in and it tried to start but didn't. What now.? Carb seems to blow out what I spray in when I crank it.

Has to suck! Has engine been apart, where the crankshaft and camshaft gears could have gotten out of time?

Not to my knowledge. Would having the carb dipped and clean maybe solve the problem or do you think it may be timing? If timing anyway to check to see if off?

Only way timing can be checked internally is to disassemble the engine, down to the crankshaft and camshaft gears. Gears could be damaged. (not likely) or the engine was put together wrong (also not likely) if it has been running. You replaced the crankshaft to flywheel key, and torqued down the flywheel, so it should be right. Compression is good, so valves are not leaking, everything points to timing off.???

What are we missing?

I'm going to try and reset valves at top dead center and see ifbrhst might do it. If not it may be cam not opening and closing a valve per JD tech.

OK> Has to be a reason it is blowing and not sucking!

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Short of pulling the head off I'm at a loss. I think their is either a valve stuck or their may be a timing issue. What are your thoughts?

I see it as a timing issue. Either the flywheel key dropped out on installation or the internal gears are damaged. With good compression, I don't see it as a valve stuck, as you saw valves working when you set them.

I called John Deere and he thought it was something relative small. He said these gators are tough and highly unlikely a cam issue etc. These gators are built to JD specks and everyone I talk to in kawasaki world said they cannot work on them due to parts are not available for gator models because JD has rights to them so parts #'s do not show up in there systems. Guess I will be going to JD service to let them look at it. I just don't want to spend tons of money to fix it.

OK> Before I gave up, I would pull the flywheel again and check the key, to be sure it did not fall out and is in place. May be able to just remove the nut and look to see if the two grooves are aligned.

Will do.

OK> Thanks.

Ok got in running. Starter was spinning counter clockwise! Fixed starter to spin clockwise and started right up. Now when I push on gas it seems slow to rev up to get going. Linkage in correct and carb only has one screw for throttle and I messed with it and didn't help any. You have any ideas?

Run a cylinder test, loosen the spark plug wires and with it idling, remove one wire at a time. It should continue to run, if it dies when one wire is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing. With Kawasaki, maybe a bad coil. Just my thought as to why it is slow to rev.

One cylinder Kawasaki and already replaced coil.

Opps. I was thinking this was a twin! Very little adjustment on the carb and timing can't be changed. Fuel supply good? I think that has been checked. I just bought a Gator 4x6 with Yanmar Diesel, not running! Auction. $2150, I hope I know what i'm doing!

Good luck with it. I bet you get her going.

I'll get it going! I just hope it's not too much expense!

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician