Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My onan marquis 7000 gas generator will run but it is not…

My onan marquis 7000...

My onan marquis 7000 gas generator will run but it is not putting out any 110 power to the breakers on the generator itself.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Onan marquis 700. Mod # 7hgab-1036C. it is about 8 years old.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/22/2018
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

If this unit is not producing power, it will not stay running. The controller would shut it down.

Exactly how are you testing the voltage?

Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Thank you, ***** ***** not keep the generator motor running so I bypassed I think the fuel pump and it it ran. What would stop it from producing 110 electric to stop the engine from running.
Phone call session started

I tried to call, but apparently the number you provided the system is not your number. The guy who answered had no idea what was going on.

If the genset will not stay running without you having to jump something, it is not staying running.

There are many things that can prevent the genset from producing power.

Here is where you need to start.

Connect an AC voltmeter to the output leads of the genset, and press and hold the start button to keep the engine running for a few seconds.

How much voltage is registering for those few seconds?

Ok, since you have confirmed that the genset is not producing power, here is where you need to start.

Directly above your control panel, mounted into the side of the generator toward the top, is a small plastic piece with 2 wires attached to it, held in with a single 10mm bolt. This is the brush holder.
Watching which wire goes where, disconnect them both.
Set your meter to ohms and connect one lead to each terminal of the brush holder. You should get a reading of about 30 ohms.
Now remove the brush holder - remove the 10 mm bolt and pull the holder straight out. Sometimes they fit pretty snug, and you need to wiggle it as you pull it out.
Check the brushes. They should be worn into an even arch pattern, and should not be chipped or cracked.
They should slide freely into and out of the holder. If they stick or bind, clean the holder with electrical contact cleaner.
The brushes should both be at least 7/16" long.
Now look inside the hole where the holder was.
You will see 2 metal bands that the brushes ride against. These are the slip rings.
The slip rings are made of copper, and should be fairly shiny.
You will see the wear pattern from the brushes on the slip rings.
The wear pattern should be pretty well centered vertically on the slip rings.
If one or both brushes are riding off the edge of the slip rings, this is a serious issue that must be addressed.
If the slip rings are dirty, they need to be cleaned by attaching a piece of scotch brite or 400 grit sandpaper to the end of a small stick.
Press the scotch brite to the rings, and press and hold start for a few seconds.
Do not hold start for more than about 10 seconds at a time without stopping to let the starter cool for a few minutes.
Once the rings are clean, ohm across them. They should read about 30 ohms.
Now use a strong flashlight to watch the rings as you press and hold the start button for 3-5 seconds.
The slip rings should start turning at the exact same time as the engine, should turn at the same speed as the engine, and should stop turning at the same time as the engine.
If they do not, you have a drive issue that we must diagnose.
Once the rings are clean, and if everything checks good, reinstall the holder.
Set your meter to VDC, and connect the positive lead to the wire that was connected to the lower brush holder terminal. This wire will be marked F+.
Connect the negative lead to the wire that was connected to the upper brush holder terminal. This wire will be marked F-.
Press and hold 'Start' for 3-5 seconds, and note the voltage.
How does all of this check out?
.

Hank F.
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician