Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My fuel pump is not letting fuel come out when turning

My fuel pump is...

My fuel pump is not letting fuel come out when turning engine over. I can suck gas through to the fuel pump but will not come through the pump

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?

1975 Pinzgauer

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It been sitting for 4 years. turns over great, starts when puts fuel through intake with squirt bottle

1/21/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

r u there

Make a test line and attach to the inlet side of the fuel pump, and drop into a fuel container and see if the fuel pump will work. If it does, you have a vacuum leak before the fuel pump. Without a vacuum tight suction system, the fuel pump will not suck.

already did that

And fuel pump does not pump? Is pump ever operated or pulse pump?

old type, runs off crankshaft or engine

Lever type. Sounds like pump is bad or is not being moved by the lever.??

how to repair?

Remove the pump and work the lever by hand to see if the pump is working. If not, replace the pump. If the pump does work, try to determine if the internal piece that works the pump is worn or pump lever is worn.

is there a place to buy a rebuilt fuel pump or repair kit for 1975 Pinzgauer Ambulance?

What is the engine model? Would be part of the engine.

1975 Pinzgauer 712 that's all we know
thanks

Thank you! Please use the 5-star rating system to close the question and get me credit!

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician