Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have 3.6kyfa26120l and was determined the regulator needs…

I have 3.6kyfa26120l and...

I have 3.6kyfa26120l and was determined the regulator needs replaced part with (###) ###-####which is obsolete at Cummings/Onan none to be found. Couldn't i find an adjustable regulator plumb it around the bad part?

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Since november

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I guess ill have to, no one is wanting to work on propane or deviate from mfg design

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Low hours, 2007 mfg date. Is about all i know, i did the clean vent hose test, an RV technician at a dealership diagnosed the problem

1/22/2018
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

Can you please recheck your model number?

The model you provided should not use the(###) ###-#### it should use a different regulator.

The Spec 26120L units use the regulator part number(###) ###-####

Well that could make a difference, if that part is available. I talked with cummins 1-800 cry baby number on Friday, they looked at the(###) ###-####number. Does your source show the difference between the two, date of a superseded number or anything like that. Do you have a Cummins/Onan contact?

The book is actually showing both regulators to be available.

The 1013 is for older versions of your genset. The 1266 is for your genset and newer.

My Onan contact is my distributor. I am just a dealer.

Your not just a dealer you ARE the dealer!! Would i need a manometer to install myself or would it come preset?

It is always best to test them, but in the 15 years I've been a technician, I've never had to adjust one. The factory settings have always been spot on.

Perfect, my RV dealer wants $1800 to do the repair, yet they cant find the right part to start with. I can do a lot of swearing and skinning my knuckles for that much. I have some skills, so I'm taking it on. I appreciate your assistance in this, i was really bummed to be told my 10 year old motorhome was obsolete

Replacing a regulator is not difficult. But it does require the genset to be removed from the coach.

$1800 sounds to me like they just didn't want to do it. It shouldn't take but about 2-1/2 - 3 hours. Even if a regulator was $300, and labor is $150/hr, that still only comes out to about $750. And that's being VERY conservative.

Does your dealership have an estore?
Or should I deal more local, I’m in The Phoenix area might be on a shelf here

No, we don't have an e-store. We are a small shop.

You can check local, but this place is normally one of the best deals around, if you are not in a huge hurry:

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/148-1266

Ok I’ll let you know how it turns out, maybe I’ll do a YouTube video

Like I said, changing a demand regulator is not a big deal. It is a simple swap.

Thank you for using Just Answer, and please take a moment to rate the quality of my assistance.

Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Hank F.
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician