Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

How much does it cost to use this. Its my pto on my cub

How much does it...

How much does it cost to use this

Mechanic's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Small Engine Technician's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Ok its my pto on my cub cadet, when I try to crank it the clutch turns and motor locks

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I put new belt on it and it strated doing it

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes it has fuel in it

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No not really

1/21/2018
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Are you saying that your pto clutches spins as you attempt to start your engine, even if your pto switch is off?

sir, the piece that's locked in the hanger, it comes out
Donald, i don't have access to a phone now

Thanks for your response. Is your hanger still in place?

The phone call is only optional and is not needed.

its still in place
the clutch worked good until i took it off

If your hanger is still in place, but your clutch spins, could indicate that your clutch has dropped down slightly and is not tight enough.

Did you properly align the key in your clutch with the key way in your crankshaft?

Your clutch needs to slide up more on your crankshaft.

it went back on as easy as it came off
should i try it with belt off?

Is your belt also spinning?

it does this as fast as it turns over, i cant tell if the belt is turning

Are the wires attached to your pto clutch?

sir i can pull the pto clutch on and hear it like its pulling in

That hanger is an anti-rotation bracket. It is there to prevent rotation of your clutch.

I would like for you to try something.

sir i know that i put it back on just as it came off
ok ill try anything

Remove your clutch again. While you have it off, look inside at your swuare key, then look at the key way in your crankshaft.

Let’s see if this is aligned.

I meant square key...

ok, i can try that, square key in the pto?

Yes, inside your pto clutch. Let’s see if your clutch will slide up higher on your crankshaft and lock into your hanger.

it locks but when i try to crank motor it turns some the acts like motor is locked up
i mean it goes in the hangar but comes out

Remove your belt and then try starting your engine.

You may have a partially seized bearing in your clutch.

if the bearing was seized, would it tur in ur hand while its off?
i can turn it in my hand but its hard to do

The part of your clutch that has the key would not turn.

What was your reason for removing your clutch?

i took it off to put a belt on, not knowing i didn't have to

Ok.

I would like to rule out an alignment issue.

Can you remove your clutch and reinstall it?

would you think its bad now but still works when i pull the pto switch out?

Does your blades spin after you pull your pto switch out?

sir i will pull it back off tomorrow after church and realigne it and see what it does with belt off

Sounds good. We can continue from here.

when tomorrow?

I will be available around 2:30 pm central time.

ok, i will holler back then

Thanks, ***** *****!

thx for the help so far

You are very welcome!

Hello. This is just a follow up to see if you need any additional assistance.

Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician