Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a generac generator and I accidentally added

Hi I have a...

Hi I have a generac generator and I accidentally added 4cylinder small engine oil (briggs and stratton)

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Im not completely sure its Generac and I got it about a year ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The temperature here will be below 0 by tomorrow- how can I fix this problem?

1/21/2018
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

1. What are the model and serial number of the genset?

2. I assume you mean you added 4-stroke oil, not 4-cylinder oil? Or did you add 2-stroke oil?

3. How much oil did you add, and where did you add it too?

Generac 5943 - GP7500E 7500 Watt Electric Start Portable Generator - 5943
4 stroke I added half a quart and it started

Where did you put the oil?

Where the oil goes lol

Sorry, I had to ask. You would be surprised to see where some people try to add oil to.

I am not sure what you are getting at here - what your issue is.

You need to add oil until the dipstick reads full.

My grandma is crazy and swears she put in the wrong oil- so its okay?

That is a 4-stroke engine, so it requires 4-stroke oil.

Brand does not matter.

As long as the oil was the proper viscosity for your area, you are good to go.

Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Awesome thank you so much!