Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I am having a problem with my Rialta generator seems it

I am having a...

I am having a problem with my Rialta generator seems it doesn't get power all the time

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

2000 I have to go out and get the model it is an onan

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think pf

1/20/2018
Don
Don, Mechanic

ONAN Micro-Lite Generators

The electric generator is probably the biggest cause of headaches for Rialta owners. The model used is the smallest and most compact of the product line of the manufacturer, either Onan or Generac. This means that it also is the cheapest of the entire line.

The culprit of the most problems with the generator is alleged to be "varnish" in the carburetor and fuel system thereby causing it not to start or fail to keep running. Supposedly, if you allow the vehicle to sit idle for several weeks, then the varnish from the gasoline begins to appear. To me it is unclear why such a varnish problem does not affect many other small generators used throughout the construction and piping industries. Regardless, no warranty coverage is afforded for problems in which varnish is diagnosed to be the cause.

One thing to note about losing output power is that according to Onan's brochure, for every 1,000 feet in altitude above sea level, you will lose 3-1/2% power and 1% for each 10 degrees above 85 degrees ambient. What this means is that while at a campground that is at 7,000 feet, you will lose 7 x 3.5 or 24-1/2% power loss. Your 2,800 watt generator just became a 2,114 watt generator. Similar results, though somewhat less loss, will occur when ambient air temperature is near 100 degrees or more.

One sure-fire solution to the "varnish" problem appears to be the installation of a fuel-cut off valve in the gas feed line to the generator. Before shutting off the generator for storage, the valve is closed and no additional gas is fed to the generator. The generator is then allowed to run until it uses up all the fuel in the carburetor and fuel bowl. The thinking is that varnish can't form where there is no gasoline present. For information about installing a fuel cut-off valve, see the menu item "Modifications"

ONAN Micro-Lite 2800 Spec Sheet (171KB PDF) is this your generator ?

http://www.rialtainfo.com/generator/Onan/OnanKV_KVC_KVD_Service.pdf

here is the service manual

don

and the owners manual with trouble shooting

http://www.rialtainfo.com/generator/Onan/OnanHandbook.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am not having problems with the gas I am having problems with the electric

hi there yes i understand can you please explain what the exact problem is with it

there is a section in that first section i sent you had to do with temperature and altitude

thats why i put it up

does it happen all the time or intermittent ?

do the breaker trip ?

Don
Don, Mechanic
Phone call session started

Don
Don
Don, Mechanic