Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My 7KW went to start in its weekly test mode. Didn't

My 7KW went to...

My 7KW went to start in its weekly test mode. Didn't crank...showed RPM Sensor Loss...what do I look for or replace

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes ...Street Gas...valve open...It does start in manual mode but not auto

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No, I have a Generac serviceman but want to know whats wrong

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No...just the fix

1/21/2018
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What are the model and serial number of the genset?

Model # is(###) ###-####
Generac 7KW
Serial #(###) ###-####
Are you still there....??????????

Sorry, I have had several customers all come online all at once - I am working as fast as I can.

Let's try a static reset on your unit.

Set the switch to OFF.

Pull the control fuse out of the control panel.

Wait 10 seconds, and put the fuse back in.

Will the genset start in MANUAL?

It starts in manual
It doesn't crank in auto. It shows RPM Sensor Loss. I switch it to manual and it starts

When you say it doesn't crank, do you mean the engine does not even turn, or that it turns but won't start?

Have you reset the controller? That should have cleared the fault

Engine does not even turn over. Where is the controller and how do I reset the controller

The controller is the Start/Stop switch

I realize it has three (3) positions...AUTO / OFF / MANUAL... I am telling you again that when it is in AUTO it doesn't crank over...it shows RPM Sensor Loss. I would then put it in MANUAL and it starts right away

You have to reset the controller first, to get rid of the alarm.

Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
I would simply put it back to AUTO and the ready light would light. It would shut off the RPM Sensor Loss light
Never mind...I am not satisfied with your answers...I will contact Generac direct

Good luck.