Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have an MTD 31A56 snowblower. The auger and impeller

I have an MTD...

I have an MTD 31A56 snowblower. The auger and impeller continue to spin when the lever is released. The cable from the lever is attached to the spring but the pulley does not retract and shut off the auger

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I just noticed it

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I plan on trying

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of.

1/20/2018
Wayne, Engine Rebuilder

Hi I’m Wayne

I will be assisting you with this issue today

give me a bit to pull up that diagram

Ok thanks
No thank you.
I don’t have access to the machine right now so you can’t walk me through it

HI

Ok you say the spring is there

what your issue is the tensioner is sticking

make sure the is free moving #3 in the Pic below

I hope this helps you

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

I didn’t get any pics. Make sure the what is free moving? There was no word there
Looking at this I’m guessing that spring #7 is probably broken

HI

That will do it

I will look up your part number

Hi

Here is the part number

MTD(###) ###-####/strong> (replaces(###) ###-####/p>

I hope this helps you

Wayne, Engine Rebuilder
Thank you. Have a great day. Goodbye

Hi

You are welcome