Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have kohler 18 hp k361qs the will not start with out

Customer Question
I have kohler 18...

I have kohler 18 hp k361qs the will not start with out keeping the choke pulled, getting fuel new carb,new head gasket

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I have a 18hp kohler engine that will not start without keeping the choke closed, new carb,new head gasket and getting fuel to carb. this a k361qs engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?

I think it is a1978 I had to replace the head gasket for my son

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have already completed the head g

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have cleaned the carb.spark plug fuel pump pushing fuel to carb.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed. I authorized Paypal to cover $38, and have not heard back from you. I don't know where I stand at this point.
Resubmitting Question because I believe original question got sent before I finished my explanation. I have a Kohler TRACTOR, 18 hp, #K361qs. It will turn over, but will not run unless you constantly choke it. It has a new carb, new head gasket, spark plug, and everything checks out electrically. Please advise.
1/20/2018
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

The carburetor is not letting gas through the main jet in the carburetor. The choke bypasses the main jet. Does this new carburetor have an electric solenoid in it?

no

Then I suspect the fuel passage from the tank into the needle valve may be plugged with debris from the old fuel line. Did you replace the fuel line with the new carburetor?

I went from a separate gas can with fresh fuel and a brand new line directly into the fuel pump. We would get fuel coming out of the fuel pump before going into the carb, indicating that there is not a clog. The only way I can get it to run at all is if I put my hand over the inlet of the carb.--It will run (very roughly) until I remove my hand, then it will stall.

But that does not check the passage in the carburetor that the needle valve closes.

The carb was new last year, but sat with non-ethanol gas for several months. I recently took the carb to a shop and had it cleaned ultrasonically. Shouldn't that have cleaned all of the orifices?

It should have cleaned the carburetor, but if there was debris from an old fuel line when the carb was installed, it would be in the inlet passage, before the needle valve.

Are you referring to the "main fuel screw" that goes down behind the choke, and then down into the float?

no, I'm talking about the entrance to the carburetor float bowl through the needle valve and float. Where the line from the tank goes.

I am getting fuel in the carb, and I'm getting fuel in the spark plug if I keep choking it. Does that indicate that fuel is coming in?

figure # 2 is the inlet, and figure #4 is the needle valve. You are getting fuel in a small amount through the choke, choke does not use main jet to get fuel to the cylinder. see link below.

Do you mean that figure 2 marked in blue might be where a clog is?

Yes, between it and the # 4 needle valve

I will have to work on this tomorrow--it is close to 10pm right now. Can I continue our conversation tomorrow?

Yes, I will be here tomorrow.

Thank you, have a good evening and I will be back in touch.

Thanks!

I checked the carb again last night, and it is clean. I tried to start it today and about flooded it with fuel--it started to run, but still rough--and fuel was running out of carb, so I cut it off.

Do you have electronic ignition or the points and condenser? Fuel seems to make no difference, maybe the timing is off?

Engine does not have any electronics--timing was set about a week ago and has been checked against timing mark. Compression is good--about 40 lbs. I left compression check gauge on it for 2 days and it did not move.

40 psi compression? Way too low, needs to be minimum of 60 and 80 would be better. Have the valves ever been checked for clearance?

Valves are .005 clearance, intake & exhaust. I would think tractor would still run at 40 psi. How would I increase the compression other than doing rings?

That's all that would increase the compression, rering and lap valves.

I lapped the valves when I put the new head gasket in recently. I felt with the age of the engine that unless you totally bored it out that 40 lbs would run it. The compression held fast for 2 days, so I'm thinking it is not leaking back through the piston. Could there be anything on the intake side that is sucking air.

The only thing that affects compression is the cylinder components. Valves, rings and head gasket. Obviously, they hold at 40 psi.

What is my next course of action?

When did engine last run right? I think the engine needs to have new rings installed.

I assume the exhaust is not plugged from mice or debris.

Tractor belongs to my son--he last had it running last summer. It just quit on him. He tried making some adjustments and go nowhere, so he asked me to work on it. I found the head gasket blown & replaced. Since then I have checked out spark, electrical, fuel, valves, carb. I had the exhaust off & the pipe is open.

Flywheel key not damaged? And points are opening correct gap?

Points are correct by specs in book (.020) Spark plugs are at .035 and I can see spark-- that should that indicate flywheel key is OK?

No, flywheel key has nothing to do with either, only if the timing is correct.

We set the piston at top dead center, and then looked at the gears for the timing marks, and we felt they were aligned. Was this an acceptable procedure since the engine was not running at that time.

No, that checks the internal gear timing, but not the flywheel to the crankshaft. Best to pull the flywheel and if there is any damage to the key, replace it.

I have a friend coming over tomorrow and we will pull the flywheel and check the key. Do you think the timing would have an effect on the carb flooding that occurred this morning?

Timing affects the suction into the cylinder, and can affect the fuel to the cylinder, and cause flooding.

OK--I'll work on that tomorrow and will get back to you. Thank you.

OK , Thanks.

Checked flywheel key this morning and do not see signs of damage.

Did you remove the flywheel to check?

I will take the flywheel off.

OK> Also do you have the service manual? I see that the pint mounting plate can be moved to advance or retard the timing, have you moved the point mounting plate? Here is the manual link if you need it.

Flywheel key looks good. Are you referring to the Breaker Point Assembly?

Yes, breaker point assy.

I did not move the point mounting plate, but will look at it to see if I can tell if it had been moved.

OK< did you have the service manual showing the timing?

We looked at the timing and could not find the S and T as indicated in the manual, but found a dot that lined up in the middle of the window with the points opening at .020. The next think was adjusting the float in the carb to 11/64" (it was about 1/8" off); reinstalled carb & tractor cranked right up. It is running good at low idle, but at high speed, it still runs rough. It looks like the governor is not modulating like it should at high speed--should it be pulsating? I did adjust the gov as the manual indicated.

Governor should stay steady as long as the engine has enough fuel to the cylinder. Governor only pulsates when t is trying to compensate for fuel required.

Any thoughts on the rough idling at high speed?

Have you tried to adjust the high-speed screw in the base of the carburetor?

but I can't seem to find a happy medium. Either starts to smoke (too rich) or if you back off, it runs even rougher.

Any gasket leaking on the carburetor to the cylinder head, causing a vacuum leak?

When I had the flywheel off today, I went ahead and reworked the gasket on the intake by adding gasket sealant. The carb has a new gasket, too.

Try moving the points mounting plate. To change the timing. Move one direction, if worse or no change, try the other way!

Up and down or left and right? There is very little movement in the plate. Will I need to reset the points?

Up and down, points will not change the setting.

I will work on it again tomorrow--late afternoon. I'll be back in touch.

OK>

Curtis--I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you--I was away from home a bit this week. I adjusted the points as you suggested, moving up and down. This did not make any change. I adjusted the float to the dimension 11/64. It started up, but still will not continue to run unless I hold my hand on the carb face to choke it--otherwise it will stall out. Any thoughts?

Everything tells me it is not getting enough gas into the cylinder from the main jet in the carburetor. What kind of compression does it have? 80 psi would be good.

I had it running on low, and it ran smoothly, until I tried to throttle up. In the meantime, I found a leak in the carb around the gasket, and replaced that. After I replaced the gasket, it will not run without choking. The compression is about 40.

I'm at a loss, I don't think the compression is high enough, but that usually shows when it will not tart, you say it starts , just will not accelerate. O will opt out and see if anyone else will answer. Sorry.

Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 4 months ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is John I will attempt to help you with this issue.

First of all after reading through the prior conversation I have two issues.

1. Your compression is not high enough.
  2. The valves are not set correctly on this engine.

My suggestion would be to do a vacuum test on the engine and see what kind of vacuum it is pulling. It is not extremely hard to do but does require special tools. Otherwise, I would adjust the exhaust valve clearance to around .009 and see if that doesn't solve your problem.

Both valves were set by the book requirements at .005. I will set the exhaust valve tomorrow afternoon. I will be out of town tomorrow morning. I checked the compression and it is 40.
OK, I worked on it today. I changed the valve setting to .009. The tractor started & idled well, but when I tried to accelerate, it runs rough. I have already set the governor by the book. Could the problem be with the governor?
Compression at 40 seems really low, but if the engine starts then you should be fine. The only other thing that i would suggest at this point is to reset your point gap to .018 and see what happens.
I changed the points to .018. It started up, but is backfiring through the carb when I try to throttle up. Low idle OK.

That makes it sound like the intake valve is not sealing properly.

Can you take me through the process that you are using in order to set the valve clearances?

When I had the head off (to replace blown head gasket) I re-seated the valves, by cleaning everything and then using a "hand seating tool" with polishing material. I set the valves at top dead center to .005 according to the book. Then I changed the setting to .009 according to your recommendation. That is where everything is right now.
Rather than setting valves at TDC i prefer a different method as a lot if these engines are equipped with a mechanical compression release and trying to set valve clearances at TDC is very tricky. Try resetting valves by rotating the engine until one valve is fully open and then set the clearance on the opposite valve then rotate the engine until the valve that you just set is fully open and set the other valve, i find that this is a much more bullet proof way of ssetting the valves and it takes all of the guess work out of it.
OK, do I go back to the .005 setting on each valve or the .009? And I won't be able to get to this until tomorrow afternoon.
I would go back to .005 on both valves and see what happens.
Both valves are set at .005. Tractor started up, idled OK. I can throttle up by hand about half way, and then it will backfire when governor tries to kick in, and it tries to stall. If I throttle back, it is OK.

This makes me think that your problem is valve related, maybe a valve not moving freely so that when you try to throttle up it is not closing as fast as it needs to in order to seal and allow the engine to run properly at higher rpm.

I did notice one of the valves had a seal on one of them the other one did not. The one that had the seal did not feel as smooth as the other valve. What do you think I should do next?

That seal is there to keep oil from passing through the valve guide and getting into the exhaust system which can then cause issues with emissions and the engine would not meet or pass original emission specs.

I would recommend removing both valves and cleaning the valve stems as well as the valve guides in order to make certain that the valves can move freely in the guides and that they are not sticking.

I did completely remove and clean the valves, stems, guides, reseated the valves, lapped the valve seats, polished the guides--when I had the head off.
I haven't heard back from you for a few days. Any more suggestions? I feel we are close, but not quite there yet. Thank you.