Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a lt1000 craftsman tractor with a 17hp kohler motor…

I have a lt1000...

I have a lt1000 craftsman tractor with a 17hp kohler motor that I replaced the fuel filter on and now it is low on power, starts fine and runs, but when I put it in gear and engage the mower or snow blower, the rpms drop and it just barley moves and blows snow, I replaced spark plug and air cleaner and blew out the gas cap, and still not working right??

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes it is full of fuel and when I replaced the filter it was flowing out ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I took the carburator off and took the float bowl cover off to see if any thing had gotten in there and it is clean , no bits of rubber or any dirt that i could see.

1/19/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Was it ok before the fuel filter change? Is the fuel filter inline properly, with flow arrow toward carburetor? If it is not the filter, you may have let debris enter the fuel line to the carburetor and now is restricting flow into the float bowl via the needle valve,

it was running ok before I replaced the filter and the arrow on the filter is pointing towards the carburetor and when I took the carb off I replaced the fuel line from the filter to the carb and blew out the in let to the carb from inside out when I had the carb, but it does act to me like it isn't getting enough fuel when everything is turned on?
no email is ok as I don't have it apart now and i'm in the house

This is single cylinder engine? So it has to e a lack of fuel. Did you change the float setting on the carburetor? I would go back and check the fuel flow to the carburetor and the flow through the needle valve passage

it is a single cyl engine and I did not change anything on the needle and seat, when I blew out the gas cap it seemed to help some, is there something more I can do with it?
I also noticed that the part that hangs below the float bowl cover that has electrical wires on it, the wire that goes to the electrical system was frayed and some of the wires were broke, what does that part do?

Gas cap just has to vent and not let the tank draw a vacuum as fuel leaves the tank. Do you have the old fuel filter, where you could blow it out an install as a test? Some fuel filters are more restrictive than others. Some are for fuel pump systems and others for gravity flow.

I still have the old filter and I can try that

OK> Let me know.

what about the part with electrical wires that hangs below the float bowl and screws in and holds the float bowl on, on my snowmobiles it would be where the main jet is located?

It is the anti-backfire solenoid, that closes the main jet when the key is turned off. If it does not retract far enough it can restrict fuel flow and can be caused by the washers on it being too thick, or installed where it does not fully open.

That sounds like it maybe my problem where it opens enough to start and run until put under a load and then it doesn't let enough fuel thur , is that possible where it is only particaly opening? would I have to get that part from sears or Kohler or can I get it thur you?

I would try shimming it to give it more clearance between the jet and the plunger on the solenoid. Try adding more gasket. I doubt a new one from sears or Kohler would help.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician