Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My Lawn Boy snow blower will start up but won't hold a

My Lawn Boy snow...

My Lawn Boy snow blower will start up but won't hold a constant idle. It revves up, then dies down, eventually stalling. I've had the carburetor cleaned and spark plug changed, but it still won't stay operating.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes to all questions.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can, but if not I will take it to a "professional" -- the guy who supposedly fixed it before.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It has the possibility of starting manually or electrically. The electric start won't do it =-= sounds like metal grating against metal. So, I only use the manual, which starts up fine.

1/19/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Ok.

The symptom is a lack of fuel going through the carburetor. Check the flow from the tank to the carburetor, and the passage from the inlet hose through the needle valve. If nothing there, a new carburetor would be best.

I had a feeling the fuel line might be the issue. Thanks. I'll tell my repair guy and see if it can be fixed properly.

OK> Thanks.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician