Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I hope you had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!

Hey Curtis, this is Rich...
Hey Curtis, this is Rich. I hope you had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! We've been thinking about you and the warm weather that you are having! I woke up and went to work in -4 weather, plus my hostler at work, the heater doesn't work, and the part is on back-order! Lucky me!!
Anyway, I started a session with you, back in Aug, about a Scotts 2554.
I have replaced the park brake switch and the relays. I turn the key and I still have nothing. We were going to replace the wiring harness, but it is obsolete. Soo, good buddy, we have to start from scratch.
I am off this weekend, with a high of 50 degrees, and the customer wants it back yesterday!!! So, my HERO, with you help, I need to get this out of my shop!
I'll check back in with you when I get off work tomorrow, but I DO want to keep in contact with you this weekend and get this job done!
Thank You so much for your help!!
P.S. Lisa, The BOSS, will be telling me what you are telling me to do, I don't want to track a mess through the house!
1/19/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

We were in the teens twice this week, and that's cold for us. But we are making it. But on the Scotts, Battery power to the key switch? If not, fuse and fuse holder been checked? Same voltage to the starter relay/solenoid? Switch wire good from the key switch to the solenoid? All good, then safety switches, seat ,brake, pto?

Good morning, I just got out of bed! 145 hours, in 2 weeks at my other job, is kicking my butt!!
Ok, I have power to the switch but no power to the solenoid. I have not replaced the seat switch or the battery discharge sensor. The relays, 1 is a back up relay, (which I can not find any wires going the the transmission) and the other is a BPS latch relay. What is that?
Oh, ya, I also replace the key switch as well as the PTO switch

I think that is the relay for the pto, so the voltage does not have to go through the key switch. You have checked the key switch and the wire to the solenoid is not powered when key turned to start? The wire from key to solenoid checks ok for continuity? Uf so, it has to e the safety switches, not completing the ground side of the circuit.

If memory serves, I have power through the switch but not to the solenoid. Can I use a jumper wire for the seat switch? I have replace the brake switch and currently have it zip tied shut to test it.

Yes, seat switch should be two wire and can be jumpered.

Is there a reverse safety switch on this machine? I visually could not find it, nor does the schematic show one.

No, only the rio switch that cuts blades out in reverse.

BPS and RIO are same, used on s/n break.

Also shows brake switch and a fusible link.

Fuse is good and brake switch replaced. I'm heading out to the shop and I'll let you know what I find.
This is the whole story. Customer brings me the mower with the engine in pieces. I replace the engine with a new one. Engine wiring connectors are not the same, so I hooked them up the way I think it should be. Customer takes mower home, mowers for about 30 min. gets off to get a drink and now it will not start.
1st) Replace key switch
2nd) Replace PTOAnd this is where we are now!

Seat switch or harness to it are prime suspects.

Harness is obsolete, so could I rewire it just using the bare necessities? Like, by pass the relays, but keeping the brake safety?

If you can't find a bad switch or harness connection, it can always be rewired.

I'm thinking that would be the easiest. With that being said, how do I go about doing this?

I would use what you have and eliminate the ground side of the circuit grounding the solenoids second small terminal and the safety switch side of the keyswitch, which would complete the ground circuit.

I have key switch in hand, in the start position, I have continuity between the B and G.
I don't understand what you just said!! It's a 6 pole switch.- no mark (also hot from batt)
-G
- hot from batt -B
-M -G
I hope you understand my little drawing ! LOL
If I get you the color codes, would that help you?
Be right back with the colors and where they go. I think this will help you to tell me which wires go where! I'm retarded!! LOL

Me to! The grounds will all be same color, and black would be my guess.

Looking down on the switch:
Off center to the left: No mark 2 yellow/black wires (HOT)
Center: G 2 purple
Left: No mark red (HOT) Right: B purple/black
Left: M 2 white Right: G blackDoes this help?

What two colors are on the solenoids small terminals?

The original engine had the solenoid built into the starter, so I used the original solenoid wire for the new solenoid. It's color is purple. Coming out of the harness, there are 2 smaller gage wires, "pig tails" that don't go anywhere. Their colors are one purple and the other is black.

Your new solenoid is four terminals solenoid. Do you have anything on the second terminal, other than the purple wire, which has to be the switch wire from the key.

I just used a 3 pole solenoid, thus grounding it on the frame. The purple wire had to come from the switch because it worked before. If it doesn't come from the switch, where does it come from? One of the relays? Like I said, it worked when it left here, he shut it off and now it won't start! I'm soo confused!!
You know as well as I, this is something simple that we are over looking, but I don't know what!

Try grounding the black wire with a jumper/

Black off of the switch, right?

Or the end near solenoid, or try both ends.

correct me if I'm wrong, the only 2 wires that come out of the harness go back to the seat switch?
I can cut them off and pull the whole harness out and see where each wire goes? Right?
What I would like to do is just run jumper wires to make it run. Can we do that? I just need to know which wire goes where on the switch.

Two wire switch, wire location does not matter.

Ok, you miss understood what I meant. I'll cut the 2 wires for the seat switch and pull the harness out of the machine. At which point, I want to run jumper wires from the switch to make it start, run and shut off. NOTHING but jumper wires. The harness will be laying on the floor.
With that being said, I need to know which wire goes on the switch location, and where it needs to go. I'm sorry I'm being a pain in the ass!!

G2 purple, to the starter solenoid switch terminal.

Ok, but I need a hot from the batt, I'm guessing left and one to the fuel shut off, guessing off center to the left. How will it shut off? It needs to break connection, on the ground side, to kill the mag. Right?

Ground has to be made through the key switch, has to ground out coil for kill or use the fuel solenoid to kill fuel.

Well, I've pulled the harness and eliminating wires and lights that we don't need, such as oil light and charging light. Got rid of the battery sensor switch, as well.
I have some business that I have to attend to for the Fraternal Order of Eagles, so I'm done with this project for tonight.
I'll talk to you tomorrow afternoon! Thanks Buddy

Thanks, I'm playing nurse, the wife fell 12 days ago and broke her hip, recovering at home!

Give her our Love, hope she has a good recovery! My Mom fell down in October and broke her arm, so I told her she would live here until she healed up. Guess what, she hasn't healed up!!! She said, "I like it here, I my just stay awhile!" Well, we moved her in, so guess who gets NO REST! Yep, ME!!
Have Lisa on the right and Mom on the left!! I try to get in trouble, but I can't!! LOL But I Love them, so what do you do!!
I'll chat tomorrow, Thanks again for all of you help!!

Thanks, ***** ***** get some rest!

OK, Buddy, I'm back. I have the harness laying on the kitchen table. Let's start from scratch.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'm a retard!!
When I turn the key switch to the start position, I should have continuity from the red wire (from the battery) to the purple wire (going to the solenoid). Correct? I put my tester on the red terminal and check all of the other terminals on the switch and I have NO continuity. (for the start position)

Yes if the red wire is the battery wire that powers the key switch. Should have continuity to the switch wire when the switch is turned to start.

on the bottom side of the terminals, I have one black and one white. when the key switch is in the off position i have continuity, that is my ground for the coil, right? The power wire at the switch, turning it to the start position has no continuity on any of the terminals. When i turn the key to the start position I should have power from the hot side of switch to the solenoid.

5 wire terminal or 6 wire terminal key switch?

6 terminal

See page 26 in link below.

That helps, but I don't have a regulator or rectifier.
So, I'm thinking, I have to have a hot from the battery, when I turn the key to the start position, it sends power to the solenoid. Then to shut it off, I have to have a constant ground, turn the key and it makes a ground to the coil. Right?
Now if that is correct, I can use the brake safety switch for an interrupter on the power side. Meaning that the brake peddle has to be pushed in to put power to the switch. I can also use the same switch to provide a ground for the PTO. Am I right?

Yes.

what is the purpose of the relays? Just to piss me off? LOL
OK, Buddy, I think we have this by the nut hair!! Give me a few and I'll let you know what happens!!

Relays keep the higher amperage to go directly to the component, like pto clutch, instead of through the switches.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
What a nightmare!! But, with your help, we have success!!
The MAIN culprit was the connection for the PTO. The connector was attached to the frame and was grounded out, and shorted out the PTO switch. I used the harness and put things back together, but when I would take the brake off, it would die. So, I said to heck with it and rewired the whole thing! I used the brake switch as an interrupter for the solenoid and for a break in the ground for the PTO.
It starts, runs and when you turn on the PTO it still runs!!
Thanks ever so much for your help!!BTW: We were at 65 degrees today!! I took off work early!!
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician