Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Curtis, The Ariens 1024 Pro runs like a champ, and starts…

Curtis, The Ariens 1024 Pro runs...
Curtis,
The Ariens 1024 Pro runs like a champ, and starts like before, with the new plug.. I had to replace the "gripping" washer that holds the pinion that drives the bevel gear that rotates the chute..Question: I find that when I put the unit in "first gear", it works its way out, and goes to "second" I realise there are no gears, given the spinning disc, but you know what I mean.
It doesn't however, shift from 2 to 3 or 3 to 4 etc...Not sure what the problem is. Can you help?Thanks!
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/19/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

4,5, and 6 are parts that are used to hold the control in position. By tightening up the # 4 nut, makes lever harder to move and keeps it from creeping. See parts link below. It will not hold speed because the control moves, letting the friction wheel move, changing speed.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Great! Thanks Cliff. I'll try tightening 4 a shot...Now, is nut 4 a locking nut, with a fiber insert?
Duh! Double checked your link. It does say that #4 is a locking nut, under the description.

Yes, locking nut to hold its setting.