Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 13kw generac that I have had for 15 years. Today we…

I have a 13kw...

I have a 13kw generac that I have had for 15 years. Today we lost power and the generator started as it was supposed to but never switched over to the power panel. I went outside and the system set light was dimly flashing. I went to the transfer switch and it was showing "A" Utility as ON and "B" Standby as OFF. I turned off the generator and left it on manual, rotated the manual handle until "A" was OFF and "B" was ON. I went back and tried to start the generator and it took a great deal of tries before it finally started but within seconds the Over Speed light came on and the generator stopped. I waited about 2-3 minutes and tried again and the same issue reoccurred. Should I call for service or is there something I can/should do? By the way, the battery is only 2 years old and appears to be providing plenty of power.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

It is natural gas powered and yes, the valve is on

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can - unless you feel it requires a trained technician.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I get a high frequency of outages - which is why I have the generator. Last week, the power went on and off so many times that the generator got confused and I had to reset it, wait a bit and then powered it up - it worked fine. I had new brushes installed about 3 years ago.

1/18/2018
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What are the model and serial numbers of the genset?

Model 04760-0 serial#(###) ###-####

Ok, thanks.

First, you should never attempt to start the genset while the transfer switch is in the generator position. You should always start the genset first, and let it warm up for a minute or so, and then do a manual transfer. Starting a genset under load is a quick way to burn it up.

The system set light flashing like that is strange - it should not be happening.

If the genset is starting, it is not a battery issue, so the problem is deeper inside the genset.

This is going to require some serious troubleshooting.

Do you have a quality multimeter that is capable of reading frequency? One is giong to be required to troubleshoot.

Model 04760-0 serial#(###) ###-####
No - can you refer me to a local repair person?

I sure can.

What is your ZIP code?

Model 04760-0 serial#(###) ###-####
27803

There are 2 authorized service facilities near you:

ELECTRICAL SERVICES & SOLUTIONS
900 S Church St
Rocky Mount, NC 27803
USA
Distance: 1 Miles
Get Directions(###) ###-####/p>

2
WW ELECTRIC LLC

SIMS, NC 27880
USA
Distance: 20 Miles
Get Directions(###) ###-####/p>

Excellent! Thank you Hank. Have a great day. Goodbye.

Not a problem.

Good luck with it.

Thank you for using Just Answer, and please take a moment to rate the quality of my assistance with you today.

I easily give you a 5 star rating - I do not see a separate area for rating.

There should be somewhere on your page to select the star rating you wish to give.

I don't think you app is working properly. Anything I enter remains on the screen for my next entry. I can only ask that you forward my rating to your manager as there is no screen format allowing me to rate you.

Not a problem. I will forward it to Customer Service.

Thank you again for using Just Answer, and have a great day.

Hank F.
Hank F., Technician