Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Onan B43G engine that is not getting spark until I…

I have a Onan...

I have a Onan B43G engine that is not getting spark until I stop turning over the engine. Then it sparks once. Points are moving, new coil, condenser, and ignition switch. Same result.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?

1983, always ran strong. ran the day it died even.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

The last thing I changed on it was the front pto. It ran for 5 minutes after that than stopped. IT is in a John Deere 318

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The spark at the end is puzzling. IT has to be a simple problem.

I plan I doing this work myself. I do have access to a mechanical person, but he does not work these small engines.
1/18/2018
Wayne, Engine Rebuilder

Hi I’m Wayne

I will Be assisting you with this issue today

What you are describing is the ground is lost from

the points breaker plate, run a ground wire to where the points

are mounted

I hope this helps you

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Did not work. Ground is good.

Hi

Thank you for the response

using a test light ground the wire, then use the probe IGN on

and touch the points it should backfire thru the carb

HI

Just wondering where we are on this issue

did you find the issue

I found the issue. Changed points and the wire

Hi

Thank you for that

AHH never replace the points, when I read coil condenser

When I suggest about the test light that would have given your answer

I thought points also, but keep in in mind about the ground

I have seen this a lot on ONAN engines especially the CCK

Morning

Just following up with you

Did my answer help you ??

Wayne, Engine Rebuilder