Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

MY Troy Bilt is 8 HP 24" My neighbor used it and put it in…

Customer Question
MY Troy Bilt is...

MY Troy Bilt is 8 HP 24"

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

My neighbor used it and put it in my garage. When I attempted to use it, it was "locked" in a forward gear and the ignition was on. I forced it into first gear, used starting fluid and press the ruber choke 8 times. The gear shift is difficult to move. I can not get it to start or do anything I am used to doing. Your help will be aoppreciated

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes I have fresh fuel in the tank and the shut off valve is not closed.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I am not a mechanic but I can do some things.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I need to know why the gear shift seems to be locked

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Small Engine
1/17/2018
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Model number? The gear shift may be rusted up or it can be binding on the linkage to the belt drive. Get me the model number and check the belts, you may want to remove the belts and see if the engine will start and run, then check the transmission shifter and the drive belts and pulleys.