Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Unable to program homelink for garage opener remote.I

Customer Question
Unable to program homelink...

Unable to program homelink for garage opener remote.I perform step 1 Hold channel 1 & channel 3 button until the light flashes rapidly, release buttons, then "at the same time" I press Channel 1 and the button on the remote and the light flashes slowly... it does not ever flash rapidly, after 30-40 seconds the red light goes out . The battery is brand new, I have tried touching the remote button and holdin git for two seconds, releasing it and repeating the 2 second press with the same result. Also tried with Car off and running, car doors closed, I have verified the mirror is on (compass is on) all attempts give same result, the red light flashes slowly but never flashes rapidly? I have also the remote does open the door properly.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the door switches?

Fuses yes, door switch seems to be operating, doe light activates whne door opens

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?

2017, purchased in Sept 2016

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have tried the instructions from teh manual as listed on page 3-30 and visited the dealer they verified i am following the instruction properly

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing more I can think of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Small Engine
1/16/2018
Technician: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 7 months ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi ..........I think we need to start off with erasing everything and then reprogram......please follow these instructions explicitly and in its sequence

ERASE THE TRANSMITTERS:

hold down the LEARN button on the opener for 6 or 7 seconds….If you have a MY-Q device …immediately press and hold the LEARN button again until the learn LED goes out. All codes are now erased.

HARD RESET:

unplug the opener what should be for a good minute......in the meantime remove the batteries from the transmitters including the key less.....and if you have a battery back-up.....there is no battery in the wall transmitter…..plug back in the opener and replace the batteries which should be fresh

Do you know how to re program the transmitters? Hold them with-in 16 inches of the opener when you do

This is starting off with something simple and hopefully it will resolve the issue

I will need information you can provide especially… the make and model of the opener and your car ........is it HomeLink?….. how old the opener is? ….in your best recollection… any kind of changes or disruptions that may have caused it not to work properly?

Always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited…..Please let me know how it goes

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

We seem to be on different pages, there is no learn button on the transmitter, it has a single button used to activate the door opener. I am trying to program the homelink on the Mirror of the 2017 Elantra to do this function. as stated previously I have followed the instructions for the programming to the letter and when I get to step 4 in the Elantra Manual the light is supposed to go from slow flashing to rapid flashing this never happens. I have verified with the dealer I am following the instructions properly.

No the learn button is on the opener .......you'll have to locate that by the controls ............it may be under the lens cover

weren't you using that to program?...........or were you instructed to use only the remote transmitter?

This is a commercial opener in an apt bldg we do not have access to the opener and do not need to others have programmed the homelink using only the transmitter this is not a coming code unit

I am trying to help you and I need information to go any further ......if you can't provide it I can't help you ...........may be it best if you contact the proprietors and then get back in touch with Just Answer .........good luck in what you decide