Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a McCulloch FG5700 AK generator that will not stay…

Customer Question
I have a McCulloch...

I have a McCulloch FG5700 AK generator that will not stay running. It will start if I spray starter fluid in the filter but will to stay running. I'm assuming it's a dirty carb or clogged gas line. Any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Shut-off valve is open. Not sure how clean the fuel. I put some sea foam in the gas.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I think if removing and or replacing the carb is the solution it might be more than my expertise to tackle. How difficult to repair?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Do you know of any technician who makes home calls in the Geneva Il area?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Small Engine
1/15/2018
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

The carburetor is not hard to replace, but you may be able to repair it, by removing the float bowl on the bottom of the carburetor and cleaning the float and the needle valve and the jet up through the carburetor with spray carburetor cleaner. ANd also clean the bowl bolt and its small holes, as it is part of the main jet,

I see the question is still open, did you see my response?