Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a portable champion generator it starts when you

I have a portable...

I have a portable champion generator it starts when you choke it but dies as soon as you take the choke off

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Fuel is in the tank and the valve is open. I replaced the carb and spark plugs too

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I've told you everything I know so far about it

1/14/2018
Wayne, Engine Rebuilder

Hi I’m Wayne

I will be assisting you with this issue today

Is this the reason you replaced the carb ??

but it hasn't changed anything it still starts when fully choked and dies when opened

HI

Thank you for the response

what you are describing is a vacuum leak

that is why it runs choke closed

check the mounting real good for cracks, nicks

loose carb bolts, try adding another gasket to it

I hope this helps you

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

HI

Just following up with you

Did my answer help you ??

Wayne, Engine Rebuilder