Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Prosine 2.5 that has been operating for 13 years. I…

I have a Prosine...

I have a Prosine 2.5 that has been operating for 13 years. I have an off-grid application with 12 volt setup and 6 Surette batteries. I now have a "10" "2" fault which tells me I have low voltage. The thing is I don't have low voltage. All connections are good and I have 4/0 copper connecting from batteries to the DC disconnect and from the DC disconnect to the inverter. I've trouble shooted as much as I can but need help

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I've been away from the cottage since November. Turned it on yesterday. It went on for 5 minutes and then faulted. I also have lots of solar so the batteries were full when I arrived.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you talked to a solar panel professional about this?

It is not a solar panel issue. The panels are charging fine and they bypass the inverter.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I am on a boat access island. I do what I can but in have limits. I installed the solar panels and wired them. All fine and properly installed. If I can do it myself that is preferred. Otherwise I need to remove the inverter and take it off island.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have generator that is also part of my system. I have power if I bypass the inverter. The charging function of the inverter is not functioning either.

I’m referring to a Prosine 2.5 inverter made by Xantrex
1/14/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Have you checked the voltage on each of the batteries? And are are the battery cables clean and tight and not corroded?

All connection are clean and tight. I'll check the voltage on individual batteries but the6 battery bank is running at 12.5 to13.1 volts. Would the inverter not just respond to the voltage coming from the bank?

If there is a bad cell or bad connection, the invertor can't do its job. Lie a weak link in a chain, not any better than the weakest link.

I see the question is still open, did you see my response?

No badcells. No loose connections

All voltages check out across battery pack and to the inverter?

Go to the connection where the unit gets its signal and check the voltage If the voltage is good and it still says low voltage, we have to assume that the unit has failed.

Voltage s good. Looks like I’m getting a new Inverter.

OK>

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician