Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Are you able to diagnosis a problem with a curtis motor

controller? Specifically model 1268-5506....
Are you able to diagnosis a problem with a curtis motor controller? Specifically model 1268-5506.
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/13/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

What is the problem? Here is manual and has trouble shooting at page #47

Thank you I do have the manual. My problem is my old motor failed in my Club Car DS IQ. I replaced it with an AMD 7714 and put in a Curtis 1268-5506 controller (which is supposed to be specific to that motor). I have upgraded the wiring to 4g and added the heavy duty solenoid as required. Since I installed the controller I only get the throttle fault (1,2 code) and the cart won't move. I replaced the MCOR 4 and have the same problem. I can find no wires shorted or even skinned. Ohms for the wires involved with the MCOR measure 0.5 or less though the MCOR itself measures about 120 ohm. I have checked three different MCOR and they all show the same ohms.
What else am I missing?

48 volt cart? Do you have 48 volts to both sides of the solenoid? Does the solenoid close when pedal is pressed? is MCOR sending a signal to the controller?

It is 48 and I do have voltage across the solenoid. When you hit the throttle the solenoid engages and I do have an OEM Curtis 1313-4331 scanner. The scanner shows 0-100 throttle response as you move the pedal.

You have a new motor, could motor be working, but the motor spline to transmission not installed? the motor is almost silent.

Are you getting voltage to the field terminals of the motor from the controller?

I bypassed the controller to do a slow speed test of the motor. It spun just fine. There is no 48v output from the controller on the M connector point despite having 48v in from the solenoid.

So you are saying the controller is bad!

I don't believe so. I'm wondering if it is a parameters or programming issue
The speed sensor tests good as well

See the troubleshooting guide and run the controller test shown.

Which part are you specifically referring to? If you are speaking of page 46 I don't know what parameters are important to check in the monitor page. (step 3)

No the simple test is shown in the Carts Unlimited guide.

Can you send me to the page please?
Okay...I showed 0 volts until I moved the throttle enough to engage the solenoid. I then registered 48V plus and it slowly went to 0 volts

By that, you have the problem in the high amperage side of the circuit. Cables, connections, f/r switch or motor.

Alright. I'll test those per the same page you sent me and get back to you shortly if that's alright.

OK>

You put on new cables, don't overlook that one cable may have a bad connection!

Okay.....I have 26 plus volts at the forward/reverse switch power lead. When I put it in forward I get the same voltage on its respective lead and the same for reverse. I have good continuity on all my cables and no unwanted continuity at the motor.

Why is there not 48 volts to the f/r switch??

I'm not sure. The scanner shows it is picking up the forward and reverse switches, as it shows when I flip positions one switch turns off and the other on. Does it need 48 or is it a signal wire?
Disregard last. I originally used a mid-stream battery as ground. Picked up a better ground point (the b-) amd I now have full battery voltage (51v +)

I don't think the controller needs programming, but it is not sending voltage to the field terminals of the drive motor. So drive motor does not start.

When I hit the throttle I get full battery power to both A1 and A2 at the motor. How many volts and when should I have power at F1 and/or F2

A1 and A 2 should always have battery pack voltage, the Field terminals are the input from the controller, to vary speed, so voltage varys.

Okay so they should rise and fall linearly with pedal input?
When I hit the throttle I have 88.8v on f1 and 9.8v on f2. It doesn't seem to vary though
now...its giving me a speed sensor fault...but I changed it out and get the same thing

What happens if the speed sensor is unplugged?

No change.

When you tested the motor voltage and came up with 88 volts, was that forward and reverse reading?

Reverse F1 is 9.45v and F2 is 62.2v

Wher is this high voltage coming from, the controller? I can't say I have ever seen where battery increases over the battery pack voltage.

Oh wow...my bad. Those are all milivolt readings. Sorry...its getting late. So basically 0 volts
Just for reference ...I'm reading B- to F1 or F2

Maybe you want t to continue tomorrow.

Is Tuesday okay....this is a work cart and I'm off until then

Sure, I'm retired and will be here.

I see the question is still open, did you see my response?

Hey there Sorry I haven't gotten back to you. We have been crazy busy here. So basically where we left off is....we have battery pack voltage to the motor over A1/A2 but nothing over F1/F2 when the throttle is engaged. The throttle (MCOR4) is functioning appropriately as is the F/R switch and speed sensor. All have been tested and/or replaced with no change in the problem (which is no motion when throttle applied and 1,2 code throttle fault). The controller seems to be where the problem lies. I have a Curtis scanner which confirms everything I have stated above. I'm fairly certain the controller has a parameter mismatch issue of some sort. The motor is item 7144 on Buggies Unlimited and the controller is item 988. Both are brand new. Do you happen to have a list of parameters I could check?

O, I do not, but if no voltage to the F1 abd F2 , it is not going to drive. You have no output from the controller? If none, where did you get the controller, Buggys Unlimited?Give them a call, sounds like the new controller is bad!

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Okay I will check back with them. Thank you for your help walking me through the rest of the cart.