Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have an old poulan 71A, I need to know how to get the off…

Customer Question
I have an old poulan...
I have an old poulan 71A, I need to know how to get the carburetor off for cleaning. Bought a service manual shows cleaning procedure but not removal.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Small Engine
1/9/2018
Technician: Wayne, Engine Rebuilder replied 5 months ago
Wayne, Engine Rebuilder

Hi Terry

I am Wayne

I will be assisting you with is issue today

remove the 2 bolts on the front of the carb and it pulls off

take a PIC where the carb lines and linkage go so you know,

I hope this helps you

I do not suggest to rebuild, but rather replace

these are throw away carbs

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

this carb is inside of aluminum casting how do I get it out of the casting.

Hi

Thank you for that

Let me look in the book

back in a short

Hi Terry

I can not find a pic of that housing

can you send me a pic of it

I will try

OK, Thank you

Hi Terry

The pic is too dark and small

I will opt-out and send this to another Expert

sorry I could not help

Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 5 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

The adapter under the four screw plate has two nuts in it, which hold the adapter plate to the carburetor. Remove the two nuts and slide the adapter off the studs, then the carburetor nuts have to come off, to remove the carb.