Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My lawn tractor has been setting for about 8 years while I…

Customer Question
My lawn tractor has...

My lawn tractor has been setting for about 8 years while I was overseas. I installed a new battery, It would not start all I get is a screeching noise but the engine doesn’t turn over. What might be my problem. Tractor was never used and is like new. Can you help?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

There is fuel in tank the starter makes a noise but the engine will not turn over.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Would like too.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Is there a starter solenoid or can the starter be froze?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Small Engine
1/9/2018
Technician: Wayne, Engine Rebuilder replied 7 months ago
Wayne, Engine Rebuilder

Hi I'm Wayne

I will be assisting you with this issue today

what you are describing is the piston is stuck to the cylinder walls

I suggest to remove the spark plugs, pour diesel fuel into the cylinder, let it set a day or two, then work the engine by hand to free it up

I hope this helps you

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.