Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My master switch on my kohler 14resl will not respond when I…

Customer Question
My master switch on...

My master switch on my kohler 14resl will not respond when I try to run the generator or exercise. The led above the off switch is on but led's above the run and exercise switch's are off. Any suggestions? Thank you -Ron!

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It is a KOHLER 14RESL and was installed in 2011

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Only if its a simple fix.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The unit has a battery charger and has always exercised itself every 2 weeks.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Small Engine
1/9/2018
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 3 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What error code is displayed on the LCD?

E124 Not sure if this is an error code.

No, that will be the total run time hours on the genset.

Does this unit still have the original battery in it?

But it has an automatic charger and the unit has exercised itself every two weeks since instulation. Two weeks before I noticed this issue the generator was run for about seven hours due to a scheduled outage.

The recent runnings and automatic charger don't mean anything on an old battery.

If the unit is not cranking suddenly, the first thing you need to do is to take the battery and have it tested. 6 years on a battery is a long time.

Hank, lets say the battery is not the problem, any other possible solutions?

First the battery, then check the fuse to make sure it is not blown.

If it is neither one of those, then the starting circuit will need to be tested. But that can't be done until you know for a fact the battery is good.

Ok, Thank you very much for you time!! Ron.

Not a problem.

Hank F.
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician