Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My Sno-Thro speed selector arm has become loose. The machine…

Customer Question
My Sno-Thro...

My Sno-Thro speed selector arm has become loose. The machine will only go in reverse. Looks like the metal piece that the rod enters (behind the rear plate) has detached. What to do ?

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Only happened in this last NH storm. But I had noted that there were times when, going forward, it would seem to pop out of gear and I would have to back up before going forward again. That had probably happened in the last 4 storms.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Hoping to

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Ya. Am I stupid to try ?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Small Engine
1/6/2018
Technician: Wayne, Engine Rebuilder replied 7 months ago
Wayne, Engine Rebuilder

Hi I'm Wayne

I will be assisting you with this issue today

what is the make and model, please

Ariens Sno-Thro 932101 - 824

Hi

Thank you for the response

give me a bit to pull that up

I'm not ready to work on it. Want the answer, and then I'll decide if I want to tackle it at all. No phone call.
Really hard to say. The speed selector arm is loose, and has slid out of the housing about 1". The rod then goes through a hole in the plate (inside the half-moon cut-out). That half-moon is leaning out from the plate at about a 20-degree angle - don't know if that's normal (?). On the other side of the plate, what I'm seeing is a silverish piece of metal which the rod goes into. That piece of metal is just flopping around. Maybe it's #17 on the inside (?).
I have to take off the cover plate to see any of that, right ?

HI

Yes that is correct

Honestly, getting in there seems like the largest portion of the job. Any tips ?

Hi

Yes I know it is a big ordeal

sorry no tips

Morning

just following up with you

did my answer help you ??

Please rate my answer 5 stars si I get credit for the question