Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a arctic cat 650 h1. I was having charging issues, so…

Customer Question
I have a arctic...

I have a arctic cat 650 h1. I was having charging issues, so I tested the stator for ac voltage which it has to specs. I put a new battery in also. So I got a new regulator/rectifier, started atv, multi meter showed charging 14/14.5 volts, all good. Then a few days later cranked over hard, got it started, checked for charging and it was, but after it runs for a bit, 10/15 minutes, it stops charging, voltage will drop down almost immediately to about 13/13.5 volts and keep going down from there. I've checked every plug, every wire, every thing. I even checked the stator again when this happens, and it is still putting out the correct account voltage. If I leave the ATV running it will start charging again, timing is random as to when. If I shut it off for a bit and restart it, it will usually be charging again for awhile, then repeat what I already described!! I'm at a loss. Is the new regulator faulty?? It does get fairly warm, is it thermally protected some how??? Any help would be extremely appreciated!!! Sorry for the long explaination.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your 650?

2007

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 650 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Small Engine
1/6/2018
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 6 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Does battery go dead? The charging rate will go down as the battery is charged and the voltage gets to a safe level and will go up again when the battery voltage drops or more electrical load is applied. It will not stay at 14/15 volts. ??

The voltage will stay low even if I put a full load on it, four head lights and tail light. The battery will not go completely dead, but low enough the motor cranks slow/hard.

oK> I think you are chasing a problem that does not exist. Yo could have a starter or cable problem, making the unit hard to start. ut from all I see from your description, the charging system is working as intended.

I see the question is still open.??