Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My snowblower was running last night (8.5 HP Craftsman with…

Customer Question
My snowblower was running...

My snowblower was running last night (8.5 HP Craftsman with a B&S motor) I heard a clank in the motor, and it stopped running.....

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

It just started last night

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

It was running. fuel was added to a dry tank, and was fresh

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Motor is about 12 years old

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Small Engine
1/5/2018
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 6 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Remove the spark plug and look for damage to the plug, then if no damage, put finger with a rag over the spark plug hole, ad crank and see if you have enough compression to move your finger. If no compression, use a probe into the cylinder and feel for the piston, then turn the engine and see if the piston is moving. If the piston is not moving, you have major damage to the engine and connecting rod and piston is broken.