Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have an older Ariens snow blower with the manual auger…

Customer Question
I have an older...

I have an older Ariens snow blower with the manual auger control with the lock clutch. The auger is not turning when loaded with snow. The blower wheel inside is turning fast but the auger is stopping

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I have an older Ariens snowblower with the manule auger turnon that is locked in place when you engage the manule clutch. The auger is stopping when full of snow and not troeing snow. The teow wheel in the chute is working fine the auger is stopping

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Yes we just had 18 inches of snow and this problem developed halfway through the job

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Small Engine
1/5/2018
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 6 months ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician
One of two things to look at. First make certain that you haven't broken the shear bolts in the auger that lock the auger blades to the shaft. The second thing would be an issue inside the gearcase of the auger, where the main drive shaft comes into the rear of the gearcase and meets the cross shaft for the auger.
Thank you for choosing to use our services.
Please take a moment to rate your experience using the star rating system that is provided for you.