Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I can't get my snowblower to start - didn't drain the gas…

Customer Question
I can't get my...

I can't get my snowblower to start - didn't drain the gas from last year - do I have to drain and put fresh gas in?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

There is gas in the tank - I don't know where the shut off valve is located

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have to - lost my husband and now I have to take care of things

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Thats it

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Small Engine
1/5/2018
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 6 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Are familiar enough with the engine to remove the spark plug? Remove the spark plug, and clean or replace it, and put a teaspoon of fuel directly into the spark plug hole, re-install the spark plug and see if it starts. If it starts, but will not continue running, then the carburetor needs to be drained, which will also drain the fuel tank, refill with new fuel and try it.

I see the question is still open?