Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Error message on wall plate says "excessive opening force…

Customer Question
Error message on wall...

Error message on wall plate says "excessive opening force detected" error code 4-2, see owner's manual. Nothing in manual to help

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?

Less than 2 years old. Never before

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Would like to know what the solution is first

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Nothing has been pushed against it, in the way of it, nothing. could pushing the wall panel pad too roughly when opening it cause this? how to reset it

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Small Engine
1/4/2018
Technician: Jarrett Baker, Building Inspector replied 5 months ago
Jarrett Baker
Jarrett Baker, Building Inspector

hello, A garage door opener with an improperly adjusted closing force can damage the door or worse, injure a child or pet that accidentally walks under the door. The closing force of the door works as a secondary safety catch in the event the optical eyes -- that usually stop and open a door if a child, pet or object passes underneath -- cease to function. Testing and adjusting the closing force is vital to the safety of the garage door. You will need to adjust close force back a little.

1

Open the garage door, using the garage door opener.

2

Close the garage door while holding onto the door handle. The garage door should reverse direction when you apply force to the handle with your hand.

3

Place a stepladder under the back of the garage door opener's motor. Climb the ladder. Pull the plastic shroud off the back of the opener and set it aside.

4

Locate the force-adjustment screw. Turn the screw clockwise one-quarter turn to increase the amount of force required to reverse the door's direction. Alternatively, turn the screw counterclockwise one-quarter turn to decrease the amount of force required to reverse the door direction. Open and close the garage door. Continue adjusting the closing force until it reverses without excessive force.

5

Close the garage door. Inspect the rubber seal on the door's bottom edge. The seal should be slightly compressed and no light should be visible between the bottom of the seal and the garage floor.

6

Turn the travel adjustment screw -- for the closed position -- clockwise one-quarter turn to increase the downward travel of the door. Alternatively, turn the screw counterclockwise one-quarter turn to decrease the amount of downward door travel.

7

Replace the plastic shroud when the garage door operates correctly. Disconnect power after fixed to reset error sensor, turn back on.

Things You Will Need

• Stepladder
  • Phillips screwdriver

I hope I have answered your question, please don't forget to rate me.

Inspector & Building Analyst-J Baker