Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have an Amico AG 1500 - and the pull string is getting…

Customer Question
I have an Amico...

I have an Amico AG 1500 - and the pull string is getting stuck, so I can't start the motor, any suggestions? I removed the casing and rolled the strong back into place but before I put it all back together was wondering if you had any suggestionsThanks in advance for your assistance. Mike

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

I have fuel, could probably replace with cleaner fuel, but it started well a few weeks ago, and the shut off valve is open. The string itself got stuck half way so the motor wouldn;t turn, etc...

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

A storm is coming in tonight, so not sure if I have time to get it professionally worked over. Was hoping I could get it started myself. Any thoughts?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Nope, just the pull string is got stuck and I am trying to get it unstuck to start the motor. thanks in advance

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/3/2018
Technician: Machinc, General Contractor replied 3 months ago
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
You can use an electric drill with a socket attachment to start the motor with the rope start housing removed.
As for the starter mechanism take it apart and clean thoroughly
More in a moment...
Sometimes the spring is broken or blocked with dirt or a broken piece
A worn spot in the cord is also another cause of hanging or not recoiling
Also check where the mechanism slips onto the motor for wear.
Worst case scenario is a broken spring which will have to be totally replaced .
Sometimes if the spring is weak back winding it a little tighter will get it working.
Holding the pull start together by hand and off the engine you should be able to pull it and check for smooth operation .
If you think it needs lubrucating “Vaseline petroleum jelly “ works well.
An impact tool will also work for a starter . I have even used a speed crank handle but be careful.
All of these work for engines that are usually easy to start .
If you replace the pull cord make sure it is the same size, not too fat .
Old ones can get thick in places causing them to stick or “ hang” do that could also be your trouble.
Weak spring or worn cord are the most common causes.
Be careful not to wind it too tight . If you get it where it works ok but still seems slow to recoil one or two “back winds “ is usually enough.
Replacement pull starter units are reasonably priced and a lot easier to install than fixing the old one.
https://www.generatorguru.com/recoil-assembly-36588037/
Double check before you order. This should be similar to the part you need .I am showing for reference purposes
Thank you for all of the assistance. I have applied your direction and have the recoil assembly back together and can get one good turn before it looses tension. Any thoughts...? Attached is a picture of it reassembled. I don’t think I have the cord seeded properly.
Cord looks right near as I can tell. Make sure the end with the knot is through the hole in the reel and not slipping
The video shows what is happening
I’m sorry we are in the middle of a hard freeze and ice storm here .
I am handling several local and personal issues
frozen pipes and can’t call . Basically even in good times I don’t do calls because I work from a computer .
Glad to continue by text.
Machinc
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor