Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have an Amico AG 1500 - and the pull string is getting…

Customer Question
I have an Amico...

I have an Amico AG 1500 - and the pull string is getting stuck, so I can't start the motor, any suggestions? I removed the casing and rolled the strong back into place but before I put it all back together was wondering if you had any suggestionsThanks in advance for your assistance. Mike

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

I have fuel, could probably replace with cleaner fuel, but it started well a few weeks ago, and the shut off valve is open. The string itself got stuck half way so the motor wouldn;t turn, etc...

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

A storm is coming in tonight, so not sure if I have time to get it professionally worked over. Was hoping I could get it started myself. Any thoughts?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Nope, just the pull string is got stuck and I am trying to get it unstuck to start the motor. thanks in advance

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/3/2018
Technician: Machinc, General Contractor replied 1 month ago
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
You can use an electric drill with a socket attachment to start the motor with the rope start housing removed.
As for the starter mechanism take it apart and clean thoroughly
More in a moment...
Sometimes the spring is broken or blocked with dirt or a broken piece
A worn spot in the cord is also another cause of hanging or not recoiling
Also check where the mechanism slips onto the motor for wear.
Worst case scenario is a broken spring which will have to be totally replaced .
Sometimes if the spring is weak back winding it a little tighter will get it working.
Holding the pull start together by hand and off the engine you should be able to pull it and check for smooth operation .
If you think it needs lubrucating “Vaseline petroleum jelly “ works well.
An impact tool will also work for a starter . I have even used a speed crank handle but be careful.
All of these work for engines that are usually easy to start .
If you replace the pull cord make sure it is the same size, not too fat .
Old ones can get thick in places causing them to stick or “ hang” do that could also be your trouble.
Weak spring or worn cord are the most common causes.
Be careful not to wind it too tight . If you get it where it works ok but still seems slow to recoil one or two “back winds “ is usually enough.
Replacement pull starter units are reasonably priced and a lot easier to install than fixing the old one.
https://www.generatorguru.com/recoil-assembly-36588037/
Double check before you order. This should be similar to the part you need .I am showing for reference purposes
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for all of the assistance. I have applied your direction and have the recoil assembly back together and can get one good turn before it looses tension. Any thoughts...? Attached is a picture of it reassembled. I don’t think I have the cord seeded properly.
Cord looks right near as I can tell. Make sure the end with the knot is through the hole in the reel and not slipping
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The video shows what is happening
I’m sorry we are in the middle of a hard freeze and ice storm here .
I am handling several local and personal issues
frozen pipes and can’t call . Basically even in good times I don’t do calls because I work from a computer .
Glad to continue by text.
Machinc
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor