Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 30 year old Sunstar with hydo drive and was using…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I have a...
Second opinion] I have a 30 year old Sunstar with hydo drive and was using the show blower. Engine runs smooth until I move lever to right to move forward or back then it starts running rough and sometimes will backfire. problem goes away after a few minutes but returns again & againJA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?Customer: yes, full of new gas, ran perfect a couple days ago when blowing show. it's never done this beforeJA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?Customer: i hope toJA: Anything else we should know to help you best?Customer: Only that I bought my Sunstar new and have used it year around for 30 years.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 day by:
1/4/2018
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 7 months ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

This sounds to me like you have a small obstruction in the main fuel jet in the carburetor that is causing the engine to not get enough fuel when under a load which will cause the engine to backfire on occasion as well as surge and not maintain a steady rpm when running. It can come and go as the load is removed and reapplied to the engine depending on how quickly the obstruction is sucked back up into the main fuel jet. It sounds like you need to remove the carburetor and give it a good thorough cleaning in order to remove and trash or debri that may be inside that is getting into the main fuel jets.

Thank you for choosing to use our services.

Please take a moment to rate your experience using the star rating system that is provided for you.