Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Happy New Year. I own a generac model10KW Propane power. has…

Customer Question
Happy New Year. Mechanic's...

Happy New Year.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Same to you!

I own a generac model(###) ###-####10KW Propane power.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Has recently been running high rpms then down till it feels like it wants to shut down then picks up again and so on for a while and then runs smoothly for a while and so on .I have noticed that sometimes I add load to it will help it smooth out but I believe there has to be something wrong .

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If i can,Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Cant think of anything

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Small Engine
1/3/2018
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 6 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the serial number of the genset?

What size fuel tank do you have?

How full is it?

What is the temperature where you are located?

Hello Hank.
Model#0058260
Serial#5837659
100 Gal right now about 1/2
This unit is located on St Thomas,USvirgin Islands
Where its usualy very warm,right now daytime about 80

Ok, we can pretty much rule out a weather issue.

The revving up and down is called surging. It is usually caused by a lack of fuel getting to the engine.

The first thing you need to do is to have the fuel system of the genset pressure tested.

Unless you have had gaseous fuel training, and have the proper equipment, this is not something you can do yourself.

There is a possibility that your demand regulator has gone bad.