Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Toro 421 QR. The engine starts ok but when running…

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a Toro 421 QR. The engine starts ok but when running it blows all the oil out of a tube near the valve cover. I then checked the oil and there was none. No sooner had I begun pouring fresh oil in, when it starts running out this same tube. I'm guessing the tube has to do with crankcase ventilation. But why is the oil running out?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Shut off value? Yes. Fuel is clean.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Where is the shut off value and why is the oil running out?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Small Engine
1/2/2018
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 3 months ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

wh​at engine is on this machine? there should be a reed valve that will need to be replaced and this is why the oil is coming out.

163cc

what is the brand and model number?

Toro 38588

your hose is going to the valve cover correct? if you remove the valve cover the reed valve will be inside it

Okay. I think I can handle that. Not going to do the repair now though but I will order the part. Thanks.

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to do my BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL AND WHAT I STRIVE FOR

Will do. Also, do you think I'll be able to save the.cover gasket or should I order one of those too?

I would remove it first and make sure it is inside the valve cover. let me know and I can provide part numbers. it looks to me this has a Toro engine on it

Okay. Thanks.

I ​am here if you need further help, even after rating service

JON
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician