Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Deere X740 that cuts out after a few hundred yards,

Customer Question
Hi . I have...

Hi . I have a John Deere X740 that cuts out after a few hundred yards , problem is getting worse lately as it would run for a hour a while ago . The engine dies over a few seconds , have removed the cut off solenoid but not that , I have noticed the pad the solenoid pushes against to stop the engine is very sensitive to the touch and am wondering if a return spring is broken but looks a pig to work on ? Richard

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?

Think its about 10 years old , over the past year its been cutting out after an hour but it stats again no problem , but now its after a hundred yards but again starts ok for another 100 yds.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I'm an engineer but looks difficult even to remove the unit

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Be nice to know whats inside as I think the internal pad is creeping in and starving fuel

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Small Engine
12/30/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

This is the Yanmar diesel engine. You removed the fuel shutoff solenoid and the problem stayed? That means the fuel is being cut off by something else, and it will not be the internal linkage the solenoid touches. Have you ran a test line from the fuel transfer pump inlet, back into the fuel tank filler opening, and run test with tank and hoses bypassed. The system up to the transfer pump is suction and has to be vacuum tight. I'm thinking you have an obstruction that shuts off the fuel flow and moves away when the engine dies. Usually located at the tank, or the tank outlet line, where it attaches to the filter.

Thanks for the reply and is a Yamaha diesel engine . I remover the solenoid and made a cover plate ( it leaked oil without ) with a manual spring loaded plunger so now have to press this to stop the engine . I have to press this in quite a way as to make shore it's well clear of the internal pad that stops the engine , the slightest touch on this internal pad makes the engine die back . Think I need a sketch of this bypass to know where it is to try the test . After it dies you can immediately restart , then off it goes for a while .

The bypass would at the fuel pump, mounted on the side of the injection pump. The line from the filter to the fuel pump, is where the test line needs to be.

Changed the pump to filter and filter to the distributer pipes but still died , so thinking it’s fuel pump starvation I strapped a gallon bottle to the side of the mower and feed the pump with that bypassing the machine tank and tank to pump pipe . Ran it for a quite while and didn’t miss a beat , the temporary tank some emptied and I presume excess fuel was still being returned back to the mower tank . How do I get at the tank , presume the seat and the plastic mud guard assembly has to come off , what will I find and is there plate bolted to the tank with a suction pipe that i can remove ? I will replace the feed pipe and that might be the problem but I can’t see much of it without the top off ?

Fuell tank

Fuel tank hoses.

Thanks for the pics , doesn't look like much can go wrong with the tank unit so hoping its the pipe , I'll be a day or so before I can get some new pipe , will let you know .

K>

Removed the seat and rear cover to get at the tank and pulled out the feed hose , pressure tested and no leaks or scares so put it back , but lifted out the tank in out flange and found the gauze filter was well contaminated and clogged so cleaned it up . I would have thought the steel suction pipe would have reached the tank bottom but just protruded thru the plate an inch then a 6” plastic pipe with the gauze on the end , the clip on this 6” pipe wasn’t that tight so thinking the pump was ocasionly creating a vacuum due to the dirty gauze and the weak clip allowed in air . Now back together and has run without a problem , but will have to wait for better weather to give it a full test . Thanks for your suggestions and that made me look elsewhere or I would have removed the distributer unnecessarily . I will let you know when convinced it's cured .

OK> Sounds good!

Morning . Appears its sorted , had a good run yesterday and no problem , but have a issue now with the starter solenoid clattering . Had the battery tested and is fine , I haven’t got a wiring diagram so does the key pull in the solenoid or is there a relay between , got a bad connection or contact somewhere ? Richard

Solenoid chatter is dead battery or cable problem!

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician