Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a 2011 4 stroke cart that backfired on deceleration…

Customer Question
I have a 2011...

I have a 2011 4 stroke cart that backfired on deceleration when warm

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

It has had the fuel bowl and fuel tank cleaned

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes I am a long way from help about 500 km

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Engine rebuilt about 20 hours ago prior to my purchase have receipt can’t vouch for the work not sure how extensive the job was

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?

20 hours on rebuild cart is a 2011 model and doesn’t look like it’s done 000’s of hours

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Small Engine
12/30/2017
Technician: Wayne, Engine Rebuilder replied 1 month ago
Wayne, Engine Rebuilder

Hi I'm Wayne

I will be assisting you with this issue today

Not sure what the issue is ?? engine quit, ?/ won't start ??

Let me know

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Engine backfires when warm when you decelerate to stop

Hi Thank you for the response

I have rebuilt engines for 34+

from small to Cummins, Detroit, Mercedes Mack and GMC

what you are describing is the valves are not seating

possible, not seat ground, possible not lapped in

but it is a valve issue

I hope this helps you

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The receipts I got with the cart when I purchased it say the head and valves were done
The engine runs smoothly at all times other than when decelerating
The engine smells like it’s running a bit rich

Hi

Thank you for the response

Let us start what engine is it

Make and model

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yamaha ydraxp 2011 4 stroke petrol golf cart

Hi Thank you

the fact remains the valves as a issue

they are not seating, or the were not lapped in on rebuild

that is the only issue

NOW, if it backfires when shutting down, that

is a carburetor issue, fuel not shutting off

I hope this helps you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is this an adjustment fix or carburettor replacement?

Hi

this is not a Carb adjustment

if it happens on off acceleration

carb issue if it happens when shutting engine of f

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It happens when you lift off the accelerator completely while the engine is running
The engine backfires as the cart comes to a stop

Thank you for that

As I mentioned, I have rebuilt engines for 34+ years

this is a valve issue, intake or exhaust, most likely the intake

I hope this helps you

Morning

Just following up with you

Did my answer help you ??

Morning

Happy New Year

Did you get this issue resolved ??

Wayne, Engine Rebuilder