Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My augers are not moving on my 28 inch Cub Cadet. Today. All…

Customer Question
My augers are not...

My augers are not moving on my 28 inch Cub Cadet

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Today

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Yes all the sheer pins are in tact

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/28/2017
Technician: Wayne, Engine Rebuilder replied 6 months ago
Wayne, Engine Rebuilder

Hi I'm Wayne

I will be assisting you with this issue today

what is the model number, Please

Model # 31BH5DSB596serial Number 1H226B80074
Ok this is my second season with this machine and it wasn’t used much last year
All the pins are still in place
Not sure if the cable is loose and I have not opened it up yet to see if there is a blockage

Hi

I see you requested a phone call , I can not do calls

another expert may, or may not

also, there is a extra charge for the call from JA

we can work from here

Ok

HI

Thank you

Give me a bit to look into the book

K

Hi

I am sorry, this is made in Canada

I am in the USA , I can not get into the books for it

I will opt-out, sorry I could not help

Ok Thanks for trying
How do I make sure I am not billed then?
Technician: Vince O., Small Engine Technician replied 6 months ago
Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician

H​ello, there's a couple things you can check First, grab the augers and see if they spin freely.Did you remove the belt cover to inspect?

They don’t spin and it looks like the shear pins are all intact... I don’t know how many shear pins are suppose to be on this model
What is the best way to take the belt cover off?

T​here should be 2 screws holding the plastic belt cover on it is between the chute and the engine. If the belt isn't broken start the unit and see if the belt is turning. If belt is turning have someone hold the auger control down while you look inside to see if the impeller fan and shaft going to the auger gearbox is turning.

Ok
I will try that tomorrow
Can I still use this messaging tomorrow for follow up with you!

Yes

The sheer pins look in tack with the kotter pins still in place
I tighten the auger cable although it was only a little loose
I took the belt cover off and it appeared the belts are all ok
I took the back cover off and the auger cable appears to moving everything
I must be missing something?

Can you turn the auger pulley by hand? You can get a rock or even a chunk of ice wedged between the impeller and housing

After I wrote you last I was thinking if everything is working maybe something is frozen so I Just got back in.......there is a black auger set back out of the shovel compartment that was frozen... now I see that what you basically said too!!
I am snow blowing again and we got dumped own good last night!!

G​ood news for you,lol If possible bring it somewhere warm when done so it doesn't freeze up again

Still working?

So you are good to go? And ready for the next snow storm? Just put it somewhere warm when done so it thaws out.