Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have an MTD model 31AE15029 single stage snow thrower with…

Customer Question
Hi I...

Hi I have an MTD model 31AE15029 single stage snow thrower with a Techumseh two cylce engine. It started fine in the fall when I prepared it for the season by putting in fresh gas. It also started fine a week ago when I used it for the first time. However, now it will start when cold and then only run for about 5 minutes and then it stops and cannot be restarted. Can you help with trouble shooting?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Fuel is fairly fresh and I have never shut the valve in all the years that I have owned it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Small Engine
12/28/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 6 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

When it quits, do you have spark at the plug? If you have spark, it has to be a fuel problem, is there a fuel filter? Is tank lin to carburetor open and fuel is flowing to the carburetor?

I will have to check for spark. I do not think there is a filter. I will have to check or fuel flow. Could there be a blockage that moves into the line after a brief time and then flows back after cool down? If so how can I flush or dissolve it?

Can be a blockage in the tank outlet.