Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Bought 2 Craftsman 53778 garage remotes.if i program one it…

Customer Question
Bought 2 Craftsman 53778...

Bought 2 Craftsman 53778 garage remotes.if i program one it will work if i program another it will work but not at the same time.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

COUPLE OF WEEKS. MY OLD REMOTES WORKRD FINE

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I HAVE TRIED BUT IT IS OBVIOUSLY NOT WORKING

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not really

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Small Engine
12/27/2017
Technician: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 6 months ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi ............my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today……… what I would like to do for a start is erase the transmitters.....do a hard reset and then re program.......please follow these instructions explicitly and in its sequence

ERASE THE TRANSMITTERS:

hold down the LEARN button on the opener for 6 or 7 seconds….If you have a MY-Q device …immediately press and hold the LEARN button again until the learn LED goes out. All codes are now erased.

HARD RESET:

unplug the opener what should be for a good minute......in the meantime remove the batteries from the transmitters including the key less.....and if you have a battery back-up.....there is no battery in the wall transmitter…..plug back in the opener and replace the batteries which should be fresh

Do you know how to re program the transmitters? Hold them with-in 16 inches of the opener when you do

This is starting off with something simple and hopefully it will resolve the issue......

Always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited…..Please let me know how it goes

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

Hello Eddie,I did the following: Unplugged the motor. Removed the batteries from remotes. Re-plugged the motor.Pressed the Yellow button on motor. Re-inserted the batteries. The problem remains unresolved. Please advise.

before you unplugged you were supposed to erase the transmitters by holding down the learn button for 7 seconds ...........you need to follow those to the letter ........so we can know if the reset worked ............please re-read and try again

yes .........transmitters = remotes

the learn button is on the opener .............usually a square .....red ...yellow....purple..........I think you located a yellow one right ?

I better get some info too............

1-) the make and model of the opener How old it is. And do you have the manual?

2-) the make CRAFTSMAN and model 53778 of the remote…..key less or universal?

3-) do you know where the opener (ceiling unit) controls are?

4-) The color of the learn button on the opener is? YELLOW ?

5-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage. What made it go from working to non-working?

6-) if new when you purchased your transmitter did you check for compatibility?

7-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

The Opener: Craftsman, Model 41A3493, approximately 5 years old. No, I do not have the manual.
The 53778, Craftsman Remotes are Universal.
No, I do not know wher the Opener Controls are located. However the inscription on Cap advises to disconnect the power supply before opening? Would the Controls be located there?
Yes, Yellow is the only button an it is ROUND, not square.
The remotes were bought recently, as the old ones were worn out. The have not worked (both) since the beginging.Nothing out of the ordinary otherwise.
Compatibility check= the old remotes' model number was 53778. The new ones' model number is ***** ALSO.
Yes, I can make minor adjustments.

if the remotes are old .......they may not be making good contact .........what you can try to do for maybe a simple fix is to open them up and clean internal parts with a swab and alcohol and let dry ........include the battery contacts which you can go over with a nail file or a pencil eraser ................lets see what happens with that ...........let me know

Thanks

eddie

The Remotes are brand new_The main reason for contacting JUST ANSWER. As mentioned previously the old remotes worked just fine, both simultenously.

something is just getting lost here .......I am going to opt out and see if someone fresh can make heads or tails of this .........good luck

Have not heard from the new technician, yet.